SG3525 switchmode psu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you post an image of what your getting, it will help us help you out better.

BTW which schematic are you using? Sergio's (first schematic?) or Rod Elliott's (second schematic?)

I measured it with the probe grounded and then floating and it made no difference

You should get a different wave form (mostly ringing) when the ground is removed. If you get no difference with or with out, then I would say you have a grounding issuse with either your scope or your current setup.

rod elliott smps is great!!

Hi SMPS builders

I Build many smps rod elliott project. It´s working very good. I have a SG3525 + 12 FTP50N06 mosfet + 2 inches toroidal transformer/ input 12VDC- output +63/-63VDC. I can post pics for you, ok?
I build other SMPS with 115/230VAC and +80/-80VDC for my power amp. It´s very good the performance.

Thank you very much.

CHACALPOWERS

Getting there!!!
I filtered out the noise with some capacitors.
Built the mosfet power side of the circuit and wound a small toroidal transformer.
I havent got the high speed rectifier diodes but i still ran a few tests.
I hooked up the supply to a 13.8v 30a bench supply and loaded it down with a 16 ohm dummy load across the whole secondary.
I get around 70v p-p with it loaded down.
When loaded it sucks around 10A from the bench supply

I'm pretty happy with this so im gonna design a pcb for this and post it when its complete.

I'll post pics soon of my prototype... 10 amps of current through a veroboard....

4.jpg

heres the supply

3.jpg

this is the output wave of the toroidal when loaded down

Hey guitar_joe, :D

a stable output waveform on a prototype is a good thing! Congratulations... ;)

As for the spikes and rounded edges of the output, this will likely change with faster diodes, preferrably ultra-fast/soft-recovery.

Rod Elliot implements 'snubbers' on the primary as R1/R2 and C1/C2, respectively. On the secondary he puts C7/C10 for HF rejection.

But as no two handmade toroids are the same, I recommend you re-calculate these snubbers, as they will have unneccessary power loss (and low influence on filtering) when set for a different MOSFET/toroid/diode arrangement.

Jim Hagerman wrote a very comprehensive paper about it.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.