Which Subwoofers get really low?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll explain this as clearly as possible. Never in my 15+ years of owning car stereos have I run into this problem. I typically buy setups with a decent head unit, amp, replaced interior speakers and subs. I currently have a Kenwood 4volt deck, Kenwood 9152 sub amp which seems to be enough for my taste, and 2 12" Diamond Audio D3's in a sealed enclosure to spec 1.5 cuft per side. My question is, why don't they hit the low lows on songs like Money Maker by Ludacris? I've tried various configuratons on the amp cross over and deck, both and one at a time. No matter what it's still not making audible the lower notes. All the typical rap bass songs are fine like Lean wit it, Rock wit it. I have some R&B tracks as well and it just falls apart on the super low notes. Iv'e been told I need woofers with low Fs and a high Qts. So it would seem the Diamonds need a ported box because the total is over 50 on the calculation with Fs / Qes. So for a sealed box that would rule out Rockford Fosgte P312D2 = 51.92 /DIAMOND AUDIO D312 = 52.77 / ALPINE TYPE-R 1222D = 63.63 /JL Audio 12W3v2-D2 = 52.37. Or would a high Xmaxx help. Yes no one can tell me how to fix this. I'm thinking new subs. You can see by what I've listed for the price range if you have any ideas....

Check the specs on your signal processors and amplifiers. Many car audio components include rumble filters that block the really low stuff. My Audiocontrol EQL and 2XS have 33hz 3rd order highpass filters.

EDIT: and you want an overall LOW in box qts. Something like .6 will have a big low end in a car.

Dan

They have a higher qts and fs then I would normally look at.
A lower fs(all else being equal) will improve the low end extension. Qts itself I would not use to indicate how low a speaker will play. A higher Qts is better suited it is to a sealed enclosure and low Qts will indicate a vented box with ~.35 being the middle ground.

If you use an application like winISD you will get a better idea.

The attached image demonstrates the difference between a subwoofer with .6 and .8 qts. I modeld my sub (sealed Blueprint 1001) in my car (scooby wrx sedan). Note the low qts sub has a broad peak around 32hz, while the higher qts sub has a sharper peak around 50hz.

Dan

Attachments

• lowqts.jpg
    lowqts.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 294
owdi said:
Check the specs on your signal processors and amplifiers. Many car audio components include rumble filters that block the really low stuff. My Audiocontrol EQL and 2XS have 33hz 3rd order highpass filters.

EDIT: and you want an overall LOW in box qts. Something like .6 will have a big low end in a car.

Dan

Thanks, I did turn off the subsonic filter which helps but again the sound of the super low freq are not as loud as the bass notes around 40hz. Typical rap bass. Lil Jon etc.

owdi said:
The attached image demonstrates the difference between a subwoofer with .6 and .8 qts. I modeld my sub (sealed Blueprint 1001) in my car (scooby wrx sedan). Note the low qts sub has a broad peak around 32hz, while the higher qts sub has a sharper peak around 50hz.

Dan

Very interesting! Now i need to find a nice 300-400rms low Qts sub! Any takers?

You should actually be able to get quit low in a car with sealed subs, with the in cab gain one gets from car cabin preasurization.

Virtually flat bass response is possible if the Sealed Subs, 12dB per octave roll off cooresponds with the Cars 12dB per octave cab gain. Your weak link may be your amplifer or Deck. I had the same problem with an Alpine 5 Channel amp, (Front And Rear Plus sub) I think mine high passes everything bellow 25Hz or so (I would like to know the car amps that don't).

I think ported subs in Cars will give you a huge peak as they overlap the car cabin preasurisation point to much.

Try this track out and see how it does, just try not to blow out your subs. There is content bellow 10HZ.

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/audio/Bassotronics/bassiloveyou.mp3

Lil John' get low go's almost to 30Hz.

Christina Aguilera's Can't Hold Us Down has some 32.8 Hz

Unfortunately There still isn't very much music out there that has much intentional content bellow 40Hz.

Antone-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.