help with soundstream amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2007, 04:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help with soundstream amp

I have a Soundstream Rubicon 550-5. Stopped working on the way home today and blew the fuses. Took it apart and found a resistor that looks to have been shorting out against the chassis of the amp and eventually completely burned up. The resistor is completely charred and color bands are unreadable. Location is R161. If anyone has access to schematics or has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 18th April 2007, 06:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

tech-support@soundstream.com

They will provide the value of the resistor. If they have the schematic, get it also.
Old 18th April 2007, 09:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

E-mail me a pic and or more info and I will get that for you. I have info available to me. Just e-mail me I will answer
Old 19th April 2007, 02:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, I got the schematic for the amp and I now know the value of the resistor. A little more looking into it and it looks like possibly one of the transistors in that circuit is burnt as well. Would these two issues be related? If so, should I replace all 6 transistors in the circuit as well as the resistor. I am going by the schematic and to me it looks like these 6 transistors and resistor are seperate from the rest of the others.
Old 21st April 2007, 05:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

e-mail sent
Old 24th April 2007, 03:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Okay, need some more help. I have somehow lost all the emails that people have sent me trying to help out. I got the parts in today and replaced the resistor and the six fets. The amp powers on and doesnt blow fuses anymore but it is reaching temps of close to 200 degrees shortly after being powered on. I removed power right away as I do not want to further damage anything else. Anyone else have any ideas of what else I need to check.

Thanks
Old 24th April 2007, 04:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

When you power it up (when it's cool), touch the amp's heatsink near the power supply transistors and near the audio transistors. Which section is heating up?

It should only take a couple of seconds to see which section is producing the heat.

Do this with no speakers and no input signal.
Old 24th April 2007, 05:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

power supply transistors
Old 24th April 2007, 06:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You could have one or more of the following problems.

Shorted rectifiers.

Shorted transformer

Shorted output transistors

All of the above should have blown the power supply fuse.

Bad conections on the gate of one or more of the FETs. For each bank of FETs, place one meter lead on one gate and the other lead on the gate of either of the other FETs. They should all read the same value (meter set to ohms).

Open/out of tolerance gate resistors.

Defective gate drivers. Q43 and Q48 are the most likely culprits. Pull them to check them.

Double-check the FETs to make sure none are damaged. The easiest way is to check the resistance from the gate to the drain of each FET. They should read the same. If you get one that reads slightly less resistance, the FET is likely damaged.

Check all of these with no power applied to the amp.
Old 24th April 2007, 07:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, a little of that was over my head as I do not know a whole lot about this stuff. I did check the things you told me with my meter and everything seems okay. I did read that transistors, D4, D7, D12, D14, D16, and D17 seem to all be shorted. As far as gate drivers, how would I go about checking those.

By the way, thanks for all the help!

Hide this!Advertise here!