I figured I'd do this as a blog rather than a new thread somewhere.
My goals were:
1) Play with the distortion reducing effects of transconductance amps (voltage in - current out.) I think it was likely Nelson (via the F1/F2 papers
) that really turned me on to Hawksford's paper
that described the benefits of driving voice coils with current rather than voltage.
2) More bass than the 2 ways I built, so 3 way w/ a 10" it will be.
3) Given #1 and #2 building a FirstWatt F1/F2 per driver is a bit much, and given this is an experiment we'll go with chip amps (LM3886/LM4780)
4) I've always wanted to play with a ribbon, despite Zaph's warnings.
I've been working on these slowly for quite a while - so a flurry of posts on the various parts will follow quickly.