The main innovation re. the sapphire circuit is to replace the bias set resistors with diodes made out of the Vbe of transistors Q9 and Q10. This generates more voltage than is ideal, but can be handled by using largish values for the emitter resistors R13 and R14. Since this is a line stage buffer and not a headphone amplifier the output impedance of about 30 ohms and the limited output current swing are not critical flaws. It will drive 600 ohms at 0 dB with 0.001% THD. The whole circuit draws just 150 mW. The input impedance is a very high ~15 Mohms...
I have one First Watt F4 amp, so Iíd be running it stereo unbalanced to drive my speakers.
Since the Impasse debuted, have you or others implemented any revisions that I should know about?
My speakers are at least 94db sensitive, my room is 16 ft x 14 and my ears canít tolerate average SPLs much beyond ~ 60db-at least not much above the lower midrange band (i.e. allowing for the Fletcher-Munson effect). My midwoofers are cut off below 70Hz, where my pair of Rythmik 12" sealed powered subs take over.
Are there certain tube suppliers of specific brands of 6SN7 tubes, or better sounding alternatives, that you would recommend for best performance with my speakers, such as http://www.sophiaelectric.com/ ?
Posted 2nd May 2016 at 01:13 AM byTam Lin Updated 12th July 2016 at 02:38 PM byTam Lin(corrected typo)
With delta-sigma DACs pushing insane clock rates I wondered if a traditional multi-bit DAC could not do better. The fastest multi-bit I know of is the PCM1704, which has a max BCLK rate of 25 MHz. A 32-bit sample frame can run at 768 K samples per second. That is fast but not faster than DSD64.
However, with 32 DACs per channel staggered across the sample period we get 24.576 M. That is better than DSD512. For input at or below the native rate of 768K, the DACs operate in parallel. Below the native rate, inserted nulls stretch the output sample period. Above the native rate, the DACs are staggered and the data at each point is the input sample value minus the sum of the data in the other DACs. Thus, each successive sample is the delta needed to reach the next sample point. This approach has interesting repercussions: I will let you ponder them for the time being.
Listening to headphones creates, on many recordings, an unnaturally wide soundstage. I decided to play with the idea of 'crossfeed' whereby some deliberate crosstalk is introduced between the two channels. With transformers its jolly easy to do - just create an extra winding with the right number of turns then put this winding in series with the main output of the opposite channel.
In the picture I've done this with some EP17 ferrite cores and added a DPDT changeover switch to A/B between the original and crossfed version. The crossfeed factor I've gone for is 25%. It works in practice in that there's a more natural presentation without any 'extreme' stereo effects (almost a kind of phasiness on some recordings). But sometimes I enjoy the 'all around' effect so switchable is the name of the game
Trafo winding details as follows - primary 500T of 0.1mm, two secondaries first 120T 0.21mm, second 40T 0.21mm.
Posted 10th April 2016 at 01:26 PM byTea-Bag Updated 29th December 2016 at 08:37 PM byTea-Bag
This blog is concerning ordering, parts, assembly and some brief sound review of the two new circuits designed by Salas.
The DCG-3 is a new preamplifier design. It offers 10-15db of gain, and can use several different types of input JFETs.
Here is the preliminary values in the schematic.
Here is the prototype board
Here is the Actual Production layout
The DCSTB is Salas first offering of a series regulated supply. It is very easy to assemble and includes two board assemblies off one power supply. This is a somewhat 'greener' approach and requires less waste current than say it's SSLV1.1 or BIB board equivelant....
Posted 9th April 2016 at 02:27 PM byalexcp (My DIY projects)
Updated 11th February 2017 at 03:20 PM byalexcp
When I saw the discussions of KSA-5 headphone amplifier on head-case.org and on this forum, I thought it may be a nice use for the bag of 1000uF capacitors I had at the time. This was the main motivation for putting this Krell KSA-5 clone together.
The main challenge was to drill the front panel. The 10mm aluminum panel that came with the enclosure is easy to work with, but I wanted it to be pretty and asked the people at Modushop to CNC it for me.
Although it works ok, I think it is not a very good power amplifier for loudspeakers. As a headphone amplifier, it is no match for my Musical Fidelity X-CANv8.
Posted 9th April 2016 at 02:20 PM byalexcp (My DIY projects)
Updated 11th February 2017 at 03:25 PM byalexcp
Ever since I heard about the Hypex NCore technology, I have wanted to build a power amplifier based on Hypex NC400 modules. Here is what I got. It works very well with the preamplifier from the previous post.
I used a spare Arduino to control the SMPSes. For now, it simply allows to use a momentary push button on the front panel. I may add remote control (12V trigger or similar) later.