My NXL800 Amp Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Aussie Amplifiers
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aussie Amplifiers High quality, high performance amplifier modules and accessories

Old 13th December 2016, 09:25 AM   #1
hyped is offline hyped  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default My NXL800 Amp Build

Hi All,

I've been meaning to start post on my new build of my NXL800 for a while now and my procrastination in posting has only been exceeded by my procrastination to actually starting my build! Which has been my excuse for the former

I've decided to build an NXL800 in single chassis in trusty Modu 55cm case

The BoM thus far:

- NXL800 Amp Modules

- HPA Power One R3.1 Mains Controller

1 x 1200VA Supreme Toroidy 2 x 65VAC

4 x Mundorf 47,000uf caps - 94k each side

- Vishay 35A - 600v Bridge Rectifier

- Vishay 5W - 15k Bleeders

- 1 x 55cm x 21cm Modu Case

- Mundorf 3.9uf Evo cup coup caps

- Med Grade Fused IEC Housing with Filter

- DIY PCB board for bleeder, fuse & grounding.

- Boring old angel eye switch (had a few lying around)

- Cable LAPP 12AWG for power & 22AWG (Insert something copper) signal.

- Faston/ORing connectors

The Build Begins..

I had somewhat of a false start on the build due to the amp chassis kit arriving with a drilled base plate from hifi2000. I wasn't aware I had to request a blank base plate - 50 euro later and a week of delays the new base plate arrived, lesson learned!

So the start of the build aim was to mount the transformer and caps, easy enough I thought?!!

Well the 1200VA Tranny from Toroidy is a dam beast! At 23cm, nearly 10inches and weighing probably on 45 pounds or so it isn't the lightest going around. It mounted to the plate with a large M10 bolt.

When I first mounted it I realised the logo was upside down. 'No one is going to see it what does it matter?'

The OCD in me took over and off it came to get the plate feed out hole the right way and bolt it back down Next to mounting the power caps. For huge caps they have impressively low ESR some Im hoping for a good result from these guys.

Note to one's self, it's always easier to mount feet on baseplate prior to mounting heavy objects on top! Theres my word of wisdom for the day!

Already with just the caps and transformer mounted Im quickly running out of real estate!

I've diy a small little PCB board to house the bleeder and fuses for post caps which should land tomorrow so come this weekend, it will be onto mounting the AC controller, wiring IEC, power supply and testing before moving onto the amps.

Here is a few pics of the progress thus far.. Its my first large amp build so be kind

Thanks for listening, stay tuned!

EDIT: Photo Upload Crashing! Stand by!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6768.jpg (509.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg Bleeder Board.JPG (244.5 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg Bleeder top.JPG (173.7 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Bleeder Board side.JPG (170.6 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by hyped; 13th December 2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 13th December 2016, 09:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

IMG_6754.JPG
IMG_6755.JPG
IMG_6756.JPG
IMG_6760.JPG
IMG_6768.JPG
Old 2nd February 2017, 09:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

How is it going ?
"if it measures well & sounds good, it is good" : "if it measures badly & sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly & sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad"
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
How is it going ?

Hey Dave,

Been abit of delay it was fully assembled then rang into some issues with a short I couldn't work out! Anthony has been great help and tracked it down to speaker terminal! But until he did yours truly was looking for phantom metal filing in every corner of the amp

I'll post final pics and write up soon
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK ! Can you measure ?
"if it measures well & sounds good, it is good" : "if it measures badly & sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly & sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad"
Old 9th April 2017, 04:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Really like that Bleeder/fuse pcb. Who did you get to make that for you?

Hide this!Advertise here!