800 Watt MOSFET Amplifier Module - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Aussie Amplifiers

Aussie Amplifiers High quality, high performance amplifier modules and accessories

Old 9th May 2012, 11:57 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I've been using 8 nxv200 modules in various configuration:

>> 3-way active filtering, driving the mid and high with a single unit and parallalling the output of 2 units for higher output current.
Although a single unit can drive the speaker without a problem, parallelling 2 units was done to maintain similar thermal loading of the modules.

The performance of these tiny units is astonishing, especially when your power supply can deliver the energy required.

>> 2-way active filtered speakersystem using 2 modules in a ballanced fashion for each speaker. A 10 fold reduction in distortion is observed when these units are operated in ballanced mode. To ensure the thermal limit, the supply voltage was adapted. This is the cleanest power amp I've listened to so far.

>> 2 chanel amp using 4 modules: I had to try this, using 4 modules per channel, 2 units in parallel and in ballanced mode. Althouth the units run a bit cooler, I prefer solution as described above.

Anthony, did you perform any test comparing parallel NXV200 units with one of your larger amps? (I used 0,05 ohm summing resistors)

Thanks...Marcel

Last edited by Tarasque; 9th May 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 9th May 2012, 04:53 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Default On board capacitors

I wonder why you deliver the moduls with different capacitors. Earlier there was Silmic II or Cerafine in the supply. Now there is Nichicon KW in supply and Nichicon . Muse in the feedback.

Any reason for changing ? Is it based on listening tests ?
Old 9th May 2012, 11:26 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal View Post
I wonder why you deliver the moduls with different capacitors. Earlier there was Silmic II or Cerafine in the supply. Now there is Nichicon KW in supply and Nichicon . Muse in the feedback.

Any reason for changing ? Is it based on listening tests ?
Hi Erlend

There is a couple of reasons, first is a reliable supply of Cerafine and Silimic
caps is not easy to find at a reasonable cost, I use 2k or so of these caps a year.
The second reason is I have done some listening tests and found the caps I am using now work and sound very good.
For these reasons the Nichicon caps are used in my amplifier modules.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 9th May 2012, 11:32 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasque View Post
Hi,

I've been using 8 nxv200 modules in various configuration:

>> 3-way active filtering, driving the mid and high with a single unit and parallalling the output of 2 units for higher output current.
Although a single unit can drive the speaker without a problem, parallelling 2 units was done to maintain similar thermal loading of the modules.

The performance of these tiny units is astonishing, especially when your power supply can deliver the energy required.

>> 2-way active filtered speakersystem using 2 modules in a ballanced fashion for each speaker. A 10 fold reduction in distortion is observed when these units are operated in ballanced mode. To ensure the thermal limit, the supply voltage was adapted. This is the cleanest power amp I've listened to so far.

>> 2 chanel amp using 4 modules: I had to try this, using 4 modules per channel, 2 units in parallel and in ballanced mode. Althouth the units run a bit cooler, I prefer solution as described above.

Anthony, did you perform any test comparing parallel NXV200 units with one of your larger amps? (I used 0,05 ohm summing resistors)

Thanks...Marcel
Hi Marcel

Good to hear from you, also good to see you have been doing some extensive experimenting.
I have not tried paralleling any of the nxV200 modules, but from what you have been telling me it sounds like it would be worth the effort.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 10th May 2012, 10:18 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Hi Erlend

There is a couple of reasons, first is a reliable supply of Cerafine and Silimic
caps is not easy to find at a reasonable cost, I use 2k or so of these caps a year.
The second reason is I have done some listening tests and found the caps I am using now work and sound very good.
For these reasons the Nichicon caps are used in my amplifier modules.

Cheers

Anthony
Fino !

Just listened to my new NXV 500 R2 . Its amazing -- sounds wonderfull. Much better than the earlier moduls. Has the missing warmt in lower midrange upper bass. Transparens is so much better also. This amps is way better than the NCore 400 I made for a friend some weeks ago. The N Core 400 sounds like a clock radio compared to this.
Old 10th May 2012, 11:04 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Fino !

Just listened to my new NXV 500 R2 . Its amazing -- sounds wonderfull. Much better than the earlier moduls. Has the missing warmt in lower midrange upper bass. Transparens is so much better also. This amps is way better than the NCore 400 I made for a friend some weeks ago. The N Core 400 sounds like a clock radio compared to this.
Hi Erlend

That's awesome!
Good to hear some feedback on how someone else is enjoying the sound quality of the nxV500 R2 modules.

Erlend would it be OK for me to put your comment in the Testimonial page on my web site?

Cheers

Anthony
Old 10th May 2012, 12:11 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Do that and I will send you some pictures. They are not complete finished. I am waiting for some components .
Old 10th May 2012, 12:30 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do that and I will send you some pictures. They are not complete finished. I am waiting for some components .
Great!
Please send me some photos.

Cheers

Anthony
Old 10th May 2012, 03:52 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Jan Nielsen a member off the High Fidelity staff just took some photos. He will send them to me.
Old 10th May 2012, 08:01 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Holton-4.jpg

Holton-2.jpg

Holton-1.jpg

Holton-2 (1).jpg

Pictures of My Holton NXV R 2 monoblocs. The front is 12 mm Pertinax .

Hide this!Advertise here!