listening to nxV200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there , Max from Italy
I own two of this amazing modules, installed inside a (dead) nad c325bee
I use ald nad's psu (supposed 200VA toroid , 15000 50v caps ) for both the modules.
Passive preamp via old nad's alps (20k, know not a good choice )
.. it sounds Far better then old nad (possesed even a 304), more details oll over the spectrum , super tight basses, deepness is amazing , clearness too.

it can evidence the difference of using or not (or changing the brand) of a little bypass on dac's psu ( as little as a 0.1u mkp on a 5600u electrolitic), it can make really clear the sound of different interconnect , actually i use Van den 102 III , the better I own , and the ceapest (diy) , stright wire or wire world (a oasis one withKevlar (!)) sound Clearly different!

It's amazing , and the more is it because I use limited old nad's psu.

two modules cost less then half the nad , and them sound so good!

owesome, it's all I can say.

cheers

The sinner:D

Aussie amplifiers!

I am glad you have these small tanks too. I build mine not too long ago and I am very happy with the sound. These small modules carry some big punch for sure, I have compared to some good commercial ones but the nxv200 from Aussie amplifiers definitely beat them all. I have pushed them hard for a couple hours and the heat sink got just warm to the touch. I do not hear pops on the turn on/off or any back noise at all!!!. These amp kits are quiet as a mouse. and the best of all is the service that you get from Anthony.;)

So, here we are again, someone wanted a comparison!

I owned two Nad integrated one C304 and one C325bee , compared to them nxV200 are absolutely more defined by a far margin, C304 was more warm (in tonal balance) maybe too much , as (compared to nxVs) loosed al the fine details , reverberation , and had (the C304) rounded powerfull bass and quite deep, but nxVs have a far more articulated bass and sub bass , even compared to C325 that was more modern sounding (on the dry side) than C304.

...follows

So, here we are again, someone wanted a comparison!

I owned two Nad integrated one C304 and one C325bee , compared to them nxV200 are absolutely more defined by a far margin, C304 was more warm (in tonal balance) maybe too much , as (compared to nxVs) loosed al the fine details , reverberation , and had (the C304) rounded powerfull bass and quite deep, but nxVs have a far more articulated bass and sub bass , even compared to C325 that was more modern sounding (on the dry side) than C304.

...follows

thanks. I've heard these have more 'articulated bass and sub bass' and defined. so they are not warm at all? more clinical? yeah, I know it's all subjective but never the less we never stop asking 'how does it sound compared too ...?' :D part of the fun how we interpret what goes in our ears.

so what preamps are you aussie owner's using with your amps?

did you direct couple or use a certain film cap on the input?

btw, I'm trying the ps series. will post some thoughts on the sound once it's built up.

thanks. I've heard these have more 'articulated bass and sub bass' and defined. so they are not warm at all? more clinical? yeah, I know it's all subjective but never the less we never stop asking 'how does it sound compared too ...?' :D part of the fun how we interpret what goes in our ears.

so what preamps are you aussie owner's using with your amps?

did you direct couple or use a certain film cap on the input?

btw, I'm trying the ps series. will post some thoughts on the sound once it's built up.

Well, in my case, I am using a 10k potentiometer in my NXV200 modules and I am using 3.9uf sonicraft caps on the input. I can not find nothing wrong with the sound. I love it!!!!;)

...I use a diy cathode follower with a ccs made af 2sk170bl , 250V 4.5mA psu, 8.2uF Clarity Caps cd blocks (quite big!)... still sounds slightly on the fresh side , but I have NHT Classic 3 , three way with a alluminium dome mid , and them tend to sound this way.
however I remark this modules have the most reactive response to every modification I do, for example , to correct some harshness on the hi tones I had, I've changed a ground cable from multistranded to single core, and nxVs clearly evidenced the difference! :eek:
really is the first time I hear this! :D

Hi!

I use the nxv200 modules directly coupled to a CS4398-based dac with a alps blue pot (10k) in between. While I wouldn't describe the amps as "warm" sounding, I would say they are not "cold" sounding either. They sound very neutral and quite natural, and this is why the overall presentation depends very much on the source. If anything, I'm a little bit sceptical about all those smd parts used, but then again, there is nearly not a single "modern" cd-player or dac which comes without smd parts, and some of these do sound very good indeed.

I tested many different input coupling caps, for example: IT AudynCap Plus MKP, Mundorf M-Cap MKP, Tantalum Caps, Panasonic FC, Wima MKS, even Sanyo OsCons. And for me the most transparent and most organic presentation was given by a pair of BlackGate N's, installed in super-e configuration (short lead with long lead and vice versa). I had 4 pieces of 1,0uF at hands, so I got 2uF per channel, which is completely fine due to the high input impedance of the nxv200 modules of about 34kohms. But of course the amps do sound very nice with other input caps, too!

Here's a pic:

Attachments

• 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,592
Last edited:
Nxv200 listening impressions

Guys,

I have been using the NXv200 modules in a stereo amplifier everyday for the past 3 years and they continue to deliver.

Pros :

- Extremely neutral without being dry or analytical
- Tremendous bass authority. The sheer grip they have on dual bass Peerless
XXLS 12 inchers in a 3 way system is unrivalled.
-Revealing of the slightest change in an audio system. ( CD player etc)
- Superb soundstage

Cons:

-Lacks the warmth/lushness of a good valve amp

It is excellent partner to a warm sounding speaker.
Just be careful not to use them with overly siblant tweeters.

BEst Regards,
Chloro

I can only say good things about the NXV200 from Ausssie Amplifiers. The other day I had it playing for about 10 hrs straight at very high volume (party) and showed that the NXV200 can deliver a big beautiful punch with not sign of weakness at all. even though I pushed it really hard for many hrs the heatsink got just a little hot. I have had many amps and so far my favorites are LM3875 from Audiosector and the beast NXV200 from Aussie Amplifiers that is in my living room playing beautiful. Well done Anthony!;)

The amazing NXV200 story

I currently use 8 of these modules in a 2-way active system. Using a ballanced preamp and a ballanced active filter as well as 2 NXV200 for each speaker with a 1200Va power supply and 60mF buffercap per balanced set.

Compared with a top of the line power amp in passive mode its like removing a thick velvet curtain from your speakers. These modules are simply amaizing.

Next step is to use them in a 4 speaker active system where the modules are mounted on the magnet structure of each speaker, making the speaker wires as short as possible. The trails were promising.

I currently use 8 of these modules in a 2-way active system. Using a ballanced preamp and a ballanced active filter as well as 2 NXV200 for each speaker with a 1200Va power supply and 60mF buffercap per balanced set.

Compared with a top of the line power amp in passive mode its like removing a thick velvet curtain from your speakers. These modules are simply amaizing.

Next step is to use them in a 4 speaker active system where the modules are mounted on the magnet structure of each speaker, making the speaker wires as short as possible. The trails were promising.

Photos Please Photos! :D:D:D

Cheers

Anthony
Aussie Amplifiers

What OPS devices do your amps use? L-MOSFETs seem to have evaporated from the market, I was curious what you're using. Are these the IRF switching transistors?

Hi tcpip

Currently I am using Toshiba Vertical MOSFETs 2sk1530 and 2sj201
However as these devices are now no longer in production I will be moving
back into Dual Die Lateral MOSFETs from Exicon.
The Toshiba devices are still in good supply as surplus supplies are everywhere
So it will be a slow transition into these Exicon devices which are in plentiful supply.
This is the first of the Exicon based amplifiers I am producing.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers

Anthony

Even these Exicon devices seem to be available only with Profusion Plc. :( Findchips.com does not seem to be able to find any other reseller anywhere. Maybe I'm not looking widely enough? Can you point me to any online retailers?

And, if it's okay to ask, how much do the circuit design and component values change when you swap these devices? Can I move easily from the 2SK1530/2SJ201 to ECX10N20 and ECX10P20, for instance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.