Amplifier Chassis!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys and Girls

Here is some updated photos of the chassis-one completely fitted out with HPA modules.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

More photos are available on my web site.

I just wanted to share for a moment my experiences with Anthony, his company, and with the diy building of amplifiers in general. It has largely been my experience that you save little to no money when diying on a watt for watt basis. The chassis is largely been the most expensive part of my amplifier projects. Getting one large enough to hold everything as well as having large enough matching heatsinks drastically raises prices. I have had custom mill work done on chassis before as well, and it drastically increases the prices. Even something as simple as having the heatsink predrilled was raising the price by 50-100 dollars per heat sink (all about quantity here, and the minimum's are huge for good pricing). I think that Anythony's pricing is very appropriate given my experience. If someone can offer decent diy chassis's of good quality with custom mill options for less than his application specific options, please do so and offer it to us, as I've not been able to find it.

I own three of Anthony's amplifiers. Well, technically, I own 7 modules. I bought three of the NX150 amp modules, which I believe fall into a sort of middle generation for Anthony. I then bought an NX400P (I think that was the model) module set, which was from a generation right after the NX150's, and used the Class-D branded lateral mosfets. Finally I recently bought a set of AV400's off another DIYer who never had time to finish them. All of these amplifiers are great, the workmanship, quality of boards, quality of design, etc. are all impeccable. I've bought many diy kits over the years, few are this good. Yes they are expensive, but I shopped around, and this was a set I was most comfortable with. I'd rather spend a lot of money once than a small amount many times. You get what you pay for.

Anthony as a person seems to be very nice. I've never been to Australia, I've never met him, but his emails are always friendly, and he always try's very hard to answer my questions to the best of his abilities. He offered superb help along the way. Even when I mismarked the + and - rails on my first NX150 power supply and fried one of my modules, he made me feel as this wasn't such a noob mistake, something that happens to the best of us, and was quick to send me another one (at my expense, but it was also my mistake).

For the new person building amplifiers, I recomend buying his power supply boards. My biggest problems early on (This was probably 3-4 years ago now) were due in part to designing and building my own powersupply from scratch, with an overly complicated design, which caused the demise of the amplifier, as there was just too much to keep track of for someone as inexperienced as I was at the time.

The price for your products seems me expensive !!!! ... Serge

Oh, yes. But considering the quality, which I can attest to, M. "Saint" Holton does deliver just about the best sounding amplifier modules I have ever heard (I mean: signal to noise >120db, distortion less than 0.005 = :cool: ). And those speaker connectors are worth it = lots of gold. And the power supply modules have all the great tricks: fast diodes, big fat black caps, circuit tweaks that work ... :cloud9:

And what with world wide inflation a-happening thing, well ... Sending Him two, three or four hundred US $$ is not a prob ...

Last edited:
Oh, yes. But considering the quality, which I can attest to, M. "Saint" Holton does deliver just about the best sounding amplifier modules I have ever heard (I mean: signal to noise >120db, distortion less than 0.005 = :cool: ). And those speaker connectors are worth it = lots of gold. And the power supply modules have all the great tricks: fast diodes, big fat black caps, circuit tweaks that work ... :cloud9:

And what with world wide inflation a-happening thing, well ... Sending Him two, three or four hundred US $$ is not a prob ...

what ? SO you are saying they are really goof quality because they have gold on them ? Are you serious ?

I'll be purchasing a set of Anthony amps soon as he releases the 2 channel single board set, Probbaly do a A/B test with my alephs :)

J'

... SO you are saying they are really [good] quality because they have gold on them ? Are you serious ? ...

Well, I'm into the gold plated stuff = it is a better conductor than anything else except silver (and maybe graphene).

I do know that having gold plating on at least one side of a connection, either the plug or the jack, does make a better connection. Fur Sure.

Well, I'm into the gold plated stuff = it is a better conductor than anything else except silver (and maybe graphene).

I do know that having gold plating on at least one side of a connection, either the plug or the jack, does make a better connection. Fur Sure.

Should be reading about mass, :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.