Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 3rd April 2006, 06:04 PM   #31
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

The $450 is for the stepper motor assembly/control board AND the DACT attenuator. Without DACT attenuator, the price is about 50% of that. The Elma switch is needed to control setting on the transformers and it's about $60 from Percy.

It definitely can be done much cheaper, but at that time I didn't want to be bothered with developing another circuit.

Id do it but i don't want to step on any one's toe's. Is any one interested in such a device ? 450$ is a little steep.
Old 3rd April 2006, 08:11 PM   #32
JesseG is offline JesseG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From jleaman
Id do it but i don't want to step on any one's toe's. Is any one interested in such a device ? 450$ is a little steep.
I for one would be VERY interested in a remote volume setup that I could DIY for less that the known kits - hopefully LOTS less.

Jess
Old 3rd April 2006, 08:16 PM   #33
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman

yes
Old 3rd April 2006, 08:27 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It's not only steep, but DACT attenuator is nothing really special either.

I already mentioned that the better volume control is under development: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...425#post839425

I'm working on it with Veteran, who does programing and development of control board, pictured below.

This setup should be able to compete with any currently available attenuator kit on a market, the price will reflect it, but as usually, it will be still affordable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc02578.jpg (42.6 KB, 4283 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:03 PM   #35
JesseG is offline JesseG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From Peter Daniel
This setup should be able to compete with any currently available attenuator kit on a market, the price will reflect it, but as usually, it will be still affordable.
I am very interested in this type of control, as I said before. I have this vision of being able to touch a button from the comfort of my chair to adjust the volume on my chipamp. But, I like the sound of my chipamp and I don't want to loose it to the innards of a volume control chip.

I have seen some very simple motorized pot setups that didn't cost much, but the weak point was, of course, the pot.

The other 'but' is that I got in to chip amps because of they are phenomenally inexpensive. If I wanted to spend hundreds of dollars, I would buy something with a warranty so I had someone to yell at if it didn't work properly. However, for me, the fun of building a working amp with descent preformance from junk-bin parts and a couple of hours is right up my alley. $200 for a volume control would be more than double what all 3 of my chipamps cost - $450 would probably exceed my entire investment in hifi.

So, guys, I am looking for a good, CHEAP remote stepped attenuator solution - probably an oxymoron, but then so am I.

Jess
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:08 PM   #36
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

peter will it have a LED numeric display? will it be a option?
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:14 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Yes, there will be LED numeric display, as well a volume knob and remote control. No options here, it will be standard.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:17 PM   #38
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, there will be LED numeric display, as well a volume knob and remote control. No options here, it will be standard.

nice
Old 9th April 2006, 08:39 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:

How much ?

Old 12th April 2006, 10:58 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Nice work
We already know almost everything about new amplifier could You tell what resistors are used in amplifier?
& am thinking to order several different type resistors for experiments very interesting to try Your favourite combination.

Hide this!Advertise here!