The most advanced GainClone amp yet - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 30th March 2006, 09:46 PM   #21
JesseG is offline JesseG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi all...

I can see this thread is heading toward a discussion on tghe sonic properties of heatsink materials. That's fine, but before it wanders too far of Peter's original post, I would like to ask:

Peter: The amp you have shown looks great - up to your usual level of design and execution. I am very interested in the stepping-motor volume control. Could you provide some detail (maybe a schematic), either here or on another thread?

Eddog: To melt spun bronze (your cymbals) you will need a furnace that can sustain 2,200C, a crucible that can hold liquid amorphous amalgams (Bronze is brass and tin, remember) and a cooling chanber for the molten metal which will allow cooling to occur over about 18 hrs. Otherwise, oxydation will cause your ingots to break (explode) when they drop thru 1,250 - 1,200C, unless you can cool it in an oxygen-free, inert-gass environment. This project is extremely delicate and hazardous and should proovide you and your friends with a fun-filled weekend

Jess
Old 30th March 2006, 10:41 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
For that amp, I used the board from Bentaudio. It is exactly the same as one presented here: http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=532
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 30th March 2006, 10:48 PM   #23
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
That is a sweet volume control. Too bad it is 450 bucks though...
I love the amp.

I am considering making gainclone. Does it feel strange to spend way more work on the case than the electronics, the gainclone being reasonably simple?

Wonderful job.
Old 30th March 2006, 10:52 PM   #24
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by tade
That is a sweet volume control. Too bad it is 450 bucks though...
I love the amp.

I am considering making gainclone. Does it feel strange to spend way more work on the case than the electronics, the gainclone being reasonably simple?

Wonderful job.

It's 450$ but well worth it.
Old 30th March 2006, 10:56 PM   #25
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
sweet : )

actually yes. That will save you a lot of getting up!
Old 30th March 2006, 11:23 PM   #26
JesseG is offline JesseG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From Peter

For that amp, I used the board from Bentaudio. It is exactly the same ...
Thanks, Peter. I had found that offering from DIYCable. It is rather pricey and it set me off on a hunt for a circuit I could DIY. I am playing with some floppy disk drive stepper motors and a cute little IC from Texas Instruments. When I have something, be sure I will post it.

Also, I just finished my 4766 stereo chipamp. Works great at 40wpc. I posted it here:
A different Chipamp - LM4766

Not up to your exacting enginerering standards, Peter, but have a look - the case and heatsink are interesting.

Jess
Old 30th March 2006, 11:37 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally posted by JesseG

Thanks, Peter. I had found that offering from DIYCable. It is rather pricey and it set me off on a hunt for a circuit I could DIY.

Jess
You may actually be interested in this...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...119#post848119
Old 31st March 2006, 01:47 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by JesseG
Thanks, Peter. I had found that offering from DIYCable. It is rather pricey and it set me off on a hunt for a circuit I could DIY. I am playing with some floppy disk drive stepper motors and a cute little IC from Texas Instruments. When I have something, be sure I will post it.
The $450 is for the stepper motor assembly/control board AND the DACT attenuator. Without DACT attenuator, the price is about 50% of that. The Elma switch is needed to control setting on the transformers and it's about $60 from Percy.

It definitely can be done much cheaper, but at that time I didn't want to be bothered with developing another circuit.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st March 2006, 02:14 AM   #29
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

Comparison between all those heatsinks isn't certainly an easy one. Maybe you remember that my first monoblock amp was using large copper piece acting as heatsink and structural bar. Initially, I liked the sound, but after CES, we came to conlusion that the air was somewhat missing in that amp. I was also using a clamping bar to attach the chip to the heatsink. After removing that calmp and replacing it with a regular screw things improved, but eventually we decided for aluminum heatsink as it provided more air extention, with copper it was a bit less. Those are not only my observations, but also from the people who worked with me while developing the amp.

Wow . . .
The op amp chip must be a great magician . . .
On what color of the chip, the sound could be the best . . . ?
Old 3rd April 2006, 01:07 PM   #30
eddog is offline eddog  United States
diyAudio Member

"Eddog: To melt spun bronze (your cymbals) you will need a furnace that can sustain 2,200C, a crucible that can hold liquid amorphous amalgams (Bronze is brass and tin, remember) and a cooling chanber for the molten metal which will allow cooling to occur over about 18 hrs. Otherwise, oxydation will cause your ingots to break (explode) when they drop thru 1,250 - 1,200C, unless you can cool it in an oxygen-free, inert-gass environment. This project is extremely delicate and hazardous and should proovide you and your friends with a fun-filled weekend "

Hahahaha!! More confirmation that I should just hit my cymbals less hard, then I wouldn't feel compelled to do something with the damn things when they break. At upwards of$200 each you just hate to have them hanging in the garage collecting dust!

Hide this!Advertise here!