• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
5 Ch Patek

Very Nice Peter!!!

Where do the power supplies plug in?....those small black circles on the back panel? And have you made matching cases for them?

Are the sinks in the middle solid copper? The color almost looks like anodized aluminum.

You appear to have a complete 2 ch board for each channel.....what is the configuration? I think you mentioned once that you could only run them bridged with balanced outputs?

Are you planning to sell a 5-ch version?

Robert

The black rubber grommets are for PS cables (permanent installation on the amp).

There will be two cases for PS, but not matching, I wouldn't reach the price point then.

All 3 bars are solid copper, same for the front sub-plate. They look dark because I treated them with patina for more uniform appearance.

Each board is one channel (this is LM3875 chip).

That amp was actually a custom order, I'm not sure if I offer 5 channel version as a product.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 3,463
Hi Peter, sorry to stray way off topic, but I was hoping that you could quickly explain what the deal is with clocking and external DACs.

I have the impression that if I've taken the time to clock my transport and then I add an external DAC, I need to clock the DAC too. Or make efforts to keep the two in synch. -Is this necessary or just 'nice to have'?

Or am I mistaken?

Thanks. :)

It's not really neccessary. If you add external DAC, it does not need to be synchronized with a transport as the clock is recovered in the receiver. It may not be optimum solution, but there are so many other things affecting the sound of a DAC, this would be probably the last thing I would be looking into.

What is interesting, I have Marantz CD-94 with a same DAC implemented and connected directly using I2S.

I have another setup, where CD-Pro transport was used with external DAC and SPDIF connection, and I prefer separates (without clocks synchronized).

Peter Daniel said:
It's not really neccessary. If you add external DAC, it does not need to be synchronized with a transport as the clock is recovered in the receiver. It may not be optimum solution, but there are so many other things affecting the sound of a DAC, this would be probably the last thing I would be looking into.

What is interesting, I have Marantz CD-94 with a same DAC implemented and connected directly using I2S.

I have another setup, where CD-Pro transport was used with external DAC and SPDIF connection, and I prefer separates (without clocks synchronized).

Any explanation Peter?
:confused:

I didn't have reclocking on I2S lines, it was direct connection between decoder chip and TDA1543 DAC inside a player. Theoretically it should be better, but it wasn't.

I tried reclocking quite a few times, and never really liked it. I have ML360S DAC with extensive processing at the input stage, and I don't really like it either. Two much digital processing takes away some important part of a musical presentation, one might say it kills the spirit;)

Well, I'm not sure myself why using CS8412 receiver does not sound bad, but personally I don't really feel tempted to look into alternative ways. Maybe an analogy in comparing to analog preamplification would apply here? Passive stage theoretically should sound better (and it probably does with tube equipment) but whenever I try it with SS, I alsways prefer an active preamp stage.

Regarding clocks, I recently tried a clock from your competition in my Technics Z-1000 transport, and I actually removed it and went back to a crystall oscilator that was there originally, it just didn't sound natural, the way I am used to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.