• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
peter when i order that kit next week can i get a LM4780 ic off of you? i think i have been a victim of static damage. i was moving the amplifier to another room and i have electric heat so its very dry here. and there was a spark from my finger to the left rca when i was pluging in the source. i powered it up that channel is dead everying tests good just no input weird. this is a first for me
working with chipamps:bawling: .

extra few bucks?

thanks;)

shorting the input resistor

Peter Daniel said:
You can try to short the input 220R resistor (I'm doing it presently with my amps). The advantage would be less coloration that this resistor inevitably introduces. [/B]

How do you do that Peter? And what is the risk of doing it? Even if I am very satisfied with your kits, I still want to have more (music) out of the amp ;-)

best wishes
jan ove

Hello again Peter,
It’s unfortunate that the LM3875 sounds better, as it is less powerful then the LM4780. I take it that two LM4780 boards can be bridged and then balanced with the xlr to 2rca cable. That would be like 200W at 4ohms at about 27V (I didn’t calculate it’s just a ballpark guess). I don’t have any high efficiency speaker that’s why I ask.

Because the LM3875 sounds better would it be possible take your LM4780 Amplifier bridged Schematic and replace the amp with two LM3875s’s (I can draw it for you if you don’t understand what a mean). I know there are a lot of circuits out there to do this already however many of them seem like compromises. The extra benefit of this arrangement would be, if it works, better heat dissipation as all the chip dies are in separate packages. Of course it may be better to just use the LM4780 as you already have the boards ready to sell.

Leve,
Oh no it’s another power hungry amp builder.

Hi,

The difference between both chips is not really that big. I was using for at least 2 months LM4780 amp in stereo configuration then I switched to bridged setup (same chip) and I liked them both. It is a matter of deeper refinement and it is not always that obvious and greatly depends on the rest of the system. After few months of using LM4780 in bridged mode, I switched not to LM3875 in bridged mode and the difference is rather subtle.

Besides, two bridged LM3875 seem indeed more powerful. The bridging schematic for LM4780 aplies equally well to LM3875.

If you really need power, go with a bigger chip, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Attachments

• buffer_1.jpg
    buffer_1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 2,241
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Peter

Is the site down for some reason?

How long do you think it would take from Canada till the kits get here?

I have a couple of 4780s lying around, I want a 4 way amp (bridge/parallel) so I was wondering if I could customise my order a bit or you are pretty fixed as far as kit order goes. I basically need 4 complete amps and I already have 2 chips, and I would love to get my hands on some good passives (Hint - Riken/Caddock/BG in exchange for two chips - I'm just being a miser here but I need to $ave)...

And why can't I access the site?

Attachments

• audiosector.gif
    audiosector.gif
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,877
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.