• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pinkmouse said:
Nice rack Peter!

Looks like the DAC will have to go on hold for the moment, I have just put myself down for the miniA GB, and pocket money is still scarce. Still, I'm sure there will be new improved version 2 boards in a month or so, I know how much you like playing with designs...;)

Please email me.

Very nice boards, Peter. I am definitely going to buy a kit when you come out with them.

Peter, you mentioned there was no benefit of using a battery over AC in your DAC. If that's the case, it would be nice to just power it from the mains and leave it at that. It's most likely the course I'll take.

If using a battery, though, what's the maximum voltage you recommend for power?

Right now I'm using a 12V SLA (ouput is more like 13.8V or so) with my Scott Nixon DacKit and it's working with no problem. I think that there's some regulation happening on the DacKit board, but will this voltage be a problem with your kit? If not, I may just use the same kind of battery to start with since I have another one.

Thanks,
KT

I have also built a DAC version powered by 12V SLA batteries and on board regulators have no problem with that, so batteries can be easily used.

The second board has actually built in battery chargers, so it is more suitable for battery operation.

The comparison between AC power and battery power will greatly depend on mains quality. In both setups I did the teststing, I was using power conditioners, and mains quality was rather good.

Batteries provide for fuller midrange and somewhat softer (and maybe more natural) presentation, but they seem to be lacking drama ;)

AC power, OTOH, gives for more high end extention, so called air, more sparkle and livelines. Personal taste may have to do something here as well.

The green boards have arrived today, and here's how the other side looks.

Attachments

• db.jpg
    db.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 5,381
The ones in a pictures were actually glued. This was prototype and I didn't have the time to order machined pieces, so I cut them myself from 1/4" plate. The front plate can be mounted permanently and the board is only attached to rear plate and slides out. The rear panel is attached to board, the board attached to the bottom with 6 screws.

However, in a final version both plates will have milled out notch that goes inside tubing and is press fitted. One screw on bottom will provide additional security.

This is the same way that AMP1 and PS are made.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.