• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built the first DAC yesterday. Here some pics.

I don't have to use coupling caps with my transport, that's why empty spots on a board where those caps should go.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 10,192
The TDA1543 chip is mounted in a bottom layer, SMD regulator supplies DAC. The 4 Dale resistors take care of raw supply filtering.

You can also notice loop filter cap. I presently use FKP Wima, but want to try few other, including SMD versions. The fuse is soldered directly and there arre jumpers to switch between 115/230.

Attachments

• d4.jpg
    d4.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 8,203
And now time for the credits. I wish to thank the following people, who either intentionally or unintentionally helped in developing that DAC:

To Thorsten and Elso, for popularizing the concept of Non oversampling DACs on this forum. Wthout them, I might never get interested. ;)

To Fedde, who also got me interested (in 1543 DAC) but what's more, provided me the proven values of PS voltage and I/V resistors.

To Mr. Kusunoki, whose rev. 3 DAC was major inspiration here. From there, I used AN800X regulators and the input buffer chip. Also, from his first DAC, I took some ideas about raw PS filtering scheme.

To Brian Bell, who not only tought me how to use layout software, but also provided the components library for that project, as well arranged for the first two prototype boards.

Well, my thanks go also to Jocko, whose constant nagging about reflections and importance of input interface, made me think hard when designing input section.

Lastly, to Scott Nixon, who although didn't provide any influence on technical side of this design, yet with his interesting website and DAC offerings, showed me that marketing non oversampling DAC can be successfull.

Without all those people this project would not happen and I'm thankful to all of you.

Attachments

• d5.jpg
    d5.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 7,994
Gee!

That looks beautifull! Excellent. Can't bring myself to buy another DAC since i have one (Scott Nixon Tube DAC). However if i didn't....

I really, really appreciate that you keep offering this high quality DIY-stuff!

Gerben

P.S. the Premium 3875 SE kit with the BG N 100/50 keeps getting better! Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Terry,

I will definitely contact you with regards to help you offered on certifications research, as sooner or later I will have to go through that anyway.

The topic has been interesting enough and I will ask moderators to split this part and create separate thread dealing with creepage and safety standards. I appreaciate everybody's comments.

moderator note: new thread split off is here:http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54151

Now back to a main topic, which is the DAC. I've been receiving e-mails with regards to when it becomes available. I will work with Vikash on creating separate page for a DAC on my site. Meanwhile, the board is available and it is $35. The set of chips (CS8412 and TDA1543) is addtional $20. Set of 4 regulator chips (AN800X) and SN75179 input buffer will be $6.

All the other parts will be available as well. I still did not figure the total cost, but would like to offer two versions: regular with budget oriented components and price no object, Premium version.

For those who don't need AC section on the board, I will be supplying another DAC board, which contains LM317/LM337 regulators intended to work as battery chargers. This board is made to accept also SMD version of receiver and can be used with outboard transformer as well. The board layout was created by Damian Antoniak, who is also a member of this forum (Veteran), with some assistance on my side. This board will be selling for $30.

Attachments

• dacbat.jpg
    dacbat.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 5,096
To give you some idea what Non Oversampling TDA1543 DAC is capable of, I will quote here an article from January issue of Stereophile, by Art Dudley:

"An unfair comparison

Perverse though it may sound given all the stunning software at hand, I couldn't resist comparing the dCS Delis DAC with the most different product I could find: a 47 Laboratory Shigaraki DAC. The Delius contains several hundred parts and provides every audiophile convenience imaginable, and then some; the 0x-oversampling Shigaraki contains literally 20 parts and doesn't even incorporate a digital or analog filter. Hey, sounds fair to me.

The difference, as you may have guessed, was pretty obvious. The dCS Delius was so timbrally neutral and (aparently) accurate that it made the Shigaraki sound colored and lacking in frequency extention. The dCS made Paul McCartney's voice on "She's leaving Home," sound more real, more like Paul McCartney. Listening to the same recording through the Shigaraki was like hearing it through an old-fashined radio: The frequency response was slightly lumpy throughout the upper mids and highs, and it sorely lacked ambience, air, and reverb decay. The dCS sounded like high fidelity; the 47 Labs sounded a bit quaint.

But the Shigaraki was at least as compelling, as the Delius-and I thought the music had more drama and texture straight through the Shigaraki than when upsampled through the Delius's 1394 connection. That distinction was equally pronounced on classical music. The burrial mass from Heinrich Schutz's 'Musikalische Exeqien', had more hall sound through the dCS converter, and was arguably smoother. But in upsampling mode, it was almost too smooth. By comparison, the relatively cheap Shigaraki DAC had more texture-including, I admit, more grit in the spaces between the notes-but was also more involving.

.......Here's comment probably not germane to the spirit of this comparison that I'll make anyway: The $1400 Shigaraki wasn't the least bit embarassed by the $9995 Delius, although the latter's sophistication was obvious. After the first weeks of the review period, during which I did the bulk of my components swapping and note taking, many was the time I found myself leaving the Verdi La Scala (dCS transport [PD]) and Shigaraki combo in place- and enjoyed the hell out of it. I don't think the pairing is silly at all."

The DAC I'm presenting here is as good as Shigaraki, but IMHO opinion, does not exhibit above mentioned coloration and provides more ambience, air, and reverb decay. It exceeds ML35 DAC in every aspect (I have one sitting useless on a shelf for the last 6 months) and the main strength of the smaller DAC is much bigger musicality, sense of realism and involvement. It is not ashamed by much higher priced equipment and presently I'm using it with ML31.5 transport and heavily modified ML380S preamp. This comination is quite outstanding indeed. ;)

Any comments on my new audio rack? I just finished it yesterday and couldn't resist temptation not to show it in here;)

Attachments

• cd.jpg
    cd.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 5,749
Congrats on your nice efforts Peter!
I have one question. In the 6moon review it stated that your DAC reversed abolute polarity. Is this still the case?
It would not really be a problem as my only analog source will be the tuner (which may be inversed phase, I don't care).

I just have to make a switch for my three digital sources (allthough BNC connectors are well suited for de/reconnecting...)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Nice rack Peter!

Looks like the DAC will have to go on hold for the moment, I have just put myself down for the miniA GB, and pocket money is still scarce. Still, I'm sure there will be new improved version 2 boards in a month or so, I know how much you like playing with designs...;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.