• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter you need to update your PDF for the 3875 kit. It would be really hard to explain where all the information came from to get my amp where it is now. The process never ends.

You sure I can not just connect it all to the star ground? I am mostly just trying to avoid an assload of work.

It looks like you do not even have PG+ or PG- on the amp board wired to anything, are they just grounded through OG, and the ground from speaker binding post meets up there? Then they go to PG+ and PG- on the rectifier board?

Destroyer OS. said:
It looks like you do not even have PG+ or PG- on the amp board wired to anything, are they just grounded through OG, and the ground from speaker binding post meets up there? Then they go to PG+ and PG- on the rectifier board?

That's the main thing: in some setups multiple wires from rectifiers PG to amp PG were creating noise, that's why I switched to the other method: connecting OG points from both channels; central point on that wire is your power star ground.

Still got noise.

I assume it is the toroidal that is too close. It is an Avel not a Plitron too. I thought Plitrons cost way more, and they use to take like two months or more to get so I got the Avel this time. Although if it is FM well I have no way to tell, it sounds like nothing. Perhaps I should add the cap, will it do anything bad for sound?

It sounds the best it has sounded though.

I took the cover off, removed some extra PG wires I forgot about. Still got sound.

When I turned it on without the case lid on the sounds from the speakers sound like the transformer. When the transformer powers on it is like twice as loud.

P1010042.jpg

P1010043.jpg

You may chuckle at some of things going on. It has been through a lot.

Please excuse me Peter, but I have to ask Des O, where is your PSU?

All those pairs of wires should be twisted:- input pair, speaker pair, +-DC&PG to each PCB, the twin rectifier feeds. transformer primary feeds.

What is that switch? Mains rated????

Where is the Safety Earth connected?

How hot will the interior get due to the internal thermal blocks?

You really think all those should be twisted?

Grey and brown are signal, going to a 5a switch. Blue and purple are ground going to neutral on the socket.

Red and black are one channel on the transformer

Yellow and orange are the other.

I could twist all the different transformer leads pretty easy I think.

I do not see the point of trying to make extra long leads for the V or PGs. None of them room with each other.

Incoming signal are not twisted because all they have is cotton over very pure copper.

There is an extra 1000uf BG STD under the rectifier board.

There is no earth ground connected anywhere. I find it does nothing but make a ton of noise everywhere I have tried it. My wall socket does not have it anyways, just the backstrap in the socket.

The only wires I feel I could twist are the output ones and I see no reason, there is no sound issues with them.

The blocks of aluminum never get too how to touch at any volume levels I can handle.

Destroyer OS. said:
3875 I decided to reduce some noise or something by switching to star grounding.

I soldered PG+, PG-, CG-Right, CG-Left, and with a 100ohm resistor in the path wire that connects to the chassis.

When I turn my amp on I have a tiny bit of noise which I am afraid is just from my transformer being so close to the rectifier board. Which reminds me anyone know anything to isolate this thing from that? I tried copper foil grounded to neutral but that just made the FM worse, did nothing for killing noise.................but it did nothing but kill their transformers noise.
and now you say

You really think all those should be twisted?
:xeye:

I twisted the two positive and two ground wires for the AC mains side of the transformer then twisted those two pairs together. I had to run an independent wire from the twist to the inlet socket for ground.

Then I twisted each channel together, but did not pair the channels. Should I do that? I still have noise, maybe less but... I still think the proximity of the transformer is hurting.

I had transformers closer than that to the circuit, and there was no problem.

Basically, your setup does seem to have grounds done properly, you could twist the input signal wires, but I've built amps without twisting any wires and still they were qiet.

If it's a hum, it's usualy grounding problem, which again, seems to look fine here.

If it's radio frequency pick up, installing small caps as mentioned earlier should fix the problem.

BTW, I don't see any wires on your caps now?

They were in the way for all the grounding. Plus they might of been fixing other problems.

After talking to some people it might of been a bigger effect of filtering via magnetic lines rather than grounding. They do it on some special Panasonic capacitors made for audio too. I was thinking I might try to make some really nice windings to slip over them later.

I would twist the input wires if they had any kind of real insulation other than copper that in a twist WOULD make them touch each other.

I might to ground the chassis better, it is a pretty weak ground. I think I can sand the paint off a bit where it the stand offs connect. Perhaps that will help.

The sound I have is more static.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.