Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 15th March 2006, 05:57 PM   #971
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

this is what all audio looks like when you die

hmmm Patek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pat3.jpg (71.4 KB, 967 views)
Old 15th March 2006, 07:00 PM   #972
diyAudio Member

sorry if this isn't the place for workshop advice but I thought I'd add my experience.

After a few DIYers had said aluminium cutting was not difficult, I bought myself an aluminium blade cheap(ish) on eBay, which may have been the mistake, and with a bit of trepidation I set out to cut up my 10mm aluminum sheet.

From the start it didn't feel good. One of the teeth kept not clearing itself so I had to keep stopping to pull the swarf out with pliers. After a while that tooth broke off and a different one became the 'collector'.

Needles to say the cut edges will need a lot of sanding.

My aluminum is 6082 T6 which from memory is the high strength grade, so the problem could be a mixture of that or a low quality blade, or something else.
Old 15th March 2006, 07:05 PM   #973
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It was probably the blade to blame.

I can cut 1" copper bars without any problem.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 15th March 2006, 07:10 PM   #974
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Peter, when it comes to metal, YOU DA MAN, arround here
Old 15th March 2006, 07:12 PM   #975
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

That was definately the blade. There is no reason a carbide blade should load up, unless it is dull or mis-aligned. With missing teeth cutting metal with a table saw becomes increasingly dangerous. The odds of the material grabbing and kicking back increase dramatically. Don't ask me how I know

DaveM
Old 15th March 2006, 07:41 PM   #976
diyAudio Member

It wasn't a pleasant experience, I'd have stopped if I wasn't wearing full protection ( leather motorcycle jacket and full face helmet.)
Old 15th March 2006, 07:57 PM   #977
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

I wish I could see a picture of that happening. That must have been quite a sight.

DaveM
Old 15th March 2006, 08:03 PM   #978
diyAudio Member

Default aluminium finisher

I've tried to locate the Alodine that you mentioned in a very early thread, to add a finish to my PDA30 amp. In the UK it's "out of stock" bl**dy expensive and the product spec says it gives a golden yellow finish.
I've found Aluma-Dyne E-2300 which it says gives a clear finish. Do you think this is "close enough for Jazz". Interestingly both products are used in the aero industry. http://www.aircraftcoverings.co.uk/main.htm /product catalogue/ conversion coatings; about halfway down the page

Thanks
Kev
Old 15th March 2006, 08:26 PM   #979
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It's probably a very similar product. Alodine, when used lightly, will also give clear finish; if it's too yellow, you can brush it off with Scotch Brite pads. Each single aluminum aircraft part is treated with alodine (for corrosion protection) before primer is applied.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 15th March 2006, 08:50 PM   #980
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Peter,

looking at the production images of your amps rose up a few questions (I did not find an answer in this long thread):

1. How do you mount the chip on the other side of the PCB? Is there not any interference from the solder of the resistors, and how is the pressure maintained to clamp the chip the the heatsink metal?

2. You seem to use only caddocks. No Rikens anymore? And where is the feedback resistor, because there seems to be no more space on the other side?

Klaus

ps: After using the DAC now for a longer period with pleasure, I want to make my Ref Amp also a bit like yours: Can you supply the necessary 2 x 100µF NX (NX) and 2x1000µF Blackgates?

Hide this!Advertise here!