• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Peter, I'm thinking about copying your patak enclosure design for my lm4780 kit. Would heat be an issue with the higher power output of this chip? Also I noticed that the side pieces seem to be made of solid wood in some pictures, but not in all of them. The other pictures seem to suggest you made an insert of aluminum for the side that covers the caps. Just curious about this, and which way you have decided to go.

Here's the links to the pictures to help clarify.

No aluminum http://www.audiosector.com/images/patek/Patek3.jpg
Insert http://www.audiosector.com/images/patek/Patek11.jpg

It's not the insert, it's nickel conductive paint. I only made few amps like that initially, all other amps use dual side panels (Patek v2).

The inside panels are from maple, sprayed with conductive coating; the outside panels are exotic wood, usually Maccasar Ebony.

The chassis can probably dissipate 2 x 5W of continuous power (100Hz sine wave into dummy load). It works well in real live with LM3875 chip, without any overheating issues. If you want to use LM4780 chip for more power, that chassis may be too small.

I'm presently also using bottom panel for heat dissipation, it is attached to copper bar through aluminum block.

I was using all sort of different pieces, but eventually I'm coming back to TVC: it is my current opinion that it is the most neutral line stage. The gain is limited to 6dB only, so it's not really completely passive.

Attachments

• p22.jpg
    p22.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,122
Peter Daniel said:
I was using all sort of different pieces, but eventually I'm coming back to TVC: it is my current opinion that it is the most neutral line stage. The gain is limited to 6dB only, so it's not really completely passive.

Very nice, of course out of my price range :( i'm running passive and Brent's buffer. i'm loving the passive with the nice alps pot i have, i'm curious to see if i get the same results with your relay based one.

I took my two cased P. Daniels Premium NOS DACs to the 2007 International HeadFi meet in San Jose last weekend (see setup picture...I used the black/wood cased one on the top). I took the digital out from a Marantz DV9600 as a source into the DAC, then to an AMB M3 headphone amp and Sennheiser HD650s as one of my displayed DIY systems. It was very well received by those who tried it, and quite a few did.

Most of the attention was on the Manufacturers who turned out in force, but the DIY crowd made a good showing in one end of the main room.

HeadFi

Transformer wiring for Lm3875 kit

I have 4 EI transformers that I got for basically nothing, they are: 120v primary 12.6 - 0 - 12.6 v secondary, 2A
These are centertapped. I realize these probably dont have a huge VA rating but I would like to try them since I have them laying around (and I have 4 is it possible to use them all to boost VA?)

What is the best way to wire these up to Peter Daniel's lm3875 PS boards?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.