• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter,

I built a 6 channel 4780 from your kit last summer using two 400va dual 23v. Three separate power boards; 1 tranny supplies two power boards and two chips while the other supplies one & one. It all works well.(BTW All in one case)
This summer, I am going to add two more chips but parallel them for only two extra channels.
Questions:
1) I would like to only use the trannies I have, I'm thinking of powering the parallels with one tranny and one power supply, is this going to be okay?
2)I am going to rework the other chips, how many chips can I run off of one power supply?
The power supplies I have are all "snubberized".
Thanks, Dean

ttan98 said:
I use Winamp,

What plug-ins do you use and recommend?

thanks...

well i have different usess for winnamp.

One we use it for dj'ing

witch we use a mixer tool and a crossfader and other things.

at home i use the crossfading into songs and remotes and analizers and better eq's etc etc winnamp rocks for mp3's audio and other types of files.

Jase

Hi Peter,

I am planning to buy one of your DAC kits some time soon.

I'm not sure if 1 DAC can handle both USB & SPDIF inputs

my computer has both USB & SPDIF outputs so..... If I can have only one obviously I would like to get the best one, so if you could evaluate which is best with the same ( or similar ) sources I would appreciate your recommendation.

thanks

mike

DeanP said:

1) I would like to only use the trannies I have, I'm thinking of powering the parallels with one tranny and one power supply, is this going to be okay?
2)I am going to rework the other chips, how many chips can I run off of one power supply?
The power supplies I have are all "snubberized".
Thanks, Dean

1) Yes, this will work fine. I actually built an amp like that (integrated with 2 x LM4780 in parallel mode) and it worked well with 300VA trafo. 400VA will be even better.

2) You may probably run up to 4 chips off one PS. The results will greatly depend on your speakers and volume levels.

But to keep it reliable, 2 chips per one supply/transformer is probably more reasonable.

mikelm said:
I'm not sure if 1 DAC can handle both USB & SPDIF inputs

my computer has both USB & SPDIF outputs so..... If I can have only one obviously I would like to get the best one, so if you could evaluate which is best with the same ( or similar ) sources I would appreciate your recommendation.

I just recently finished the USB DAC layout. The whole thing is very similar to SPDIF DAC (see pic below): the PS is the same and the board sizes are also the same. So if you separate the DAC section (by breaking it off along the scoring line) from the PS, you can swap SPDIF with USB version, using the same supply.

I was thinking for a moment of combining both interfaces on one board, but unnecessary compromising of the layout prevent it me from doing that.

But, you can mount the USB board over the SPDIF board, using standoffs, and with a switch select the I2S input to the TDA1543 either from CS8412 or PCM2706.

The USB board sections will be also available separately, so anybody having SPDIF DAC already can modify it into USB.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,262
This looks fantastic - just what I'm after as I've recently decided to go down the PC sound system route using iTunes and the Apple Lossless codec. I'm sure this would improve the sound from my PC to a significant degree :clown:

Have you any idea of the cost for the board yet Peter? I really want to get hold of one of these.

Many thanks,

- John

johnm said:
This looks fantastic - just what I'm after as I've recently decided to go down the PC sound system route using iTunes and the Apple Lossless codec. I'm sure this would improve the sound from my PC to a significant degree :clown:

Have you any idea of the cost for the board yet Peter? I really want to get hold of one of these.

Many thanks,

- John

You have no idea what you are missing out on. I have a simular dac like this and its amazing compaired to the built in sound card's.
I think i spent more on the buffer than i did the usb part.

Peter Daniel said:
The board will be approx $30, and another one, without transformer, somewhat cheaper.

Good Price :)

USB DAC

Peter Daniel said:
The board will be approx $30, and another one, without transformer, somewhat cheaper.

Peter,
I would like to add the USB board to my existing SPDIF Premium and Green Board DACs in the switched configuration you mentioned. I'm finally getting around to building the cases for them, so your timing is perfect......I just need to modify the case size a little bit.

When do you think you will have them ready for sale?
Robert

Peter Daniel said:
1 or 2 A is what I'm using. A tried few different types and digikey part# 507-1032 seemed to create least "damage" ;)

What value do you recommend for the 230V version of the DAC? And, what value is suitable for the Gainclone LM3875 kit I bought from you some time ago? For the time being, I am using 1,6A, but this blow rather often (I use slow blow version;) and the recommended transformer)

best wishes
Jan Ove

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.