AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 80 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 12th February 2006, 09:31 PM   #791
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
the enclosure often costs more than the rest of hte amp!
Old 13th February 2006, 12:10 AM   #792
diyAudio Member

What size transformer would work best with the buffer?
Old 13th February 2006, 04:47 AM   #793
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I'm presently using a 100VA toroid and it works fine. Will be also trying same transformers that I'm using in DAC (50VA, one per channel)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 13th February 2006, 09:37 AM   #794
TBM is offline TBM  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter

How is your USB version of the DAC going?
Any news and listening impressions compared to SPDIF?

Tom :-)
Old 13th February 2006, 02:04 PM   #795
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to safetyman Send a message via MSN to safetyman Send a message via Yahoo to safetyman
Quote:
Originally posted by cotdt
the enclosure often costs more than the rest of hte amp!
Yes, agree totally. That's why the Patek takes my breath away each time. B4 anybody attempts a real nice enclosure, they will never imagine the nightmares that starts to follow. Of course, I believe this applies to the beginners like me.

Thanks Peter, I'll be thinking of the NOS DAC. I am going to finish up my projects one at a time. Finally, I hope to own a system that is completely DIYed. My ultimate dream.
Old 13th February 2006, 06:08 PM   #796
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TBM
How is your USB version of the DAC going?
Any news and listening impressions compared to SPDIF?
I don't know why, but USB DAC never seemed to have major priority in my plans. I will try it whenever opportunity arises, but presently I'm concentrating on an active preamp project.

Anyway, I have more than 2,000 CDs. I don't feel like ripping them to the hard drive
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 13th February 2006, 06:24 PM   #797
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Here is a dac that a friend of mine is working on. Really nice too. And sounds good.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th February 2006, 07:25 PM   #798
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

I don't know why, but USB DAC never seemed to have major priority in my plans. I will try it whenever opportunity arises, but presently I'm concentrating on an active preamp project.

Anyway, I have more than 2,000 CDs. I don't feel like ripping them to the hard drive
No need to rip all of them... However I HIGHLY suggest doing ones you listen too. The bennifits are are more than worth it. The poor CDs you have may all of a sudden be worth listening too.

http://www.audiocircle.com I invite you Peter to have a look. Squeeze Box, SB, Slimware, and Foobar2000 have taken over.

Free yourself of Jitter and incorret CD reads. No jitter and the ability to have as near perfect read of a CD as you can ever get, is a beautiful thing. This voids the need for a good CD player, only SACD and DVD-A are left. With SACD and DVD-A the quality is usually much higher quality and you can get away with a cheaper effecient transport as opposed to CD's poor quality which is not always very readiable. Well you still need an external DAC but none the less.

Sorry about the rant, but you should really check out this swiffering craze.
Old 14th February 2006, 12:31 AM   #799
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer OS.
Free yourself of Jitter and incorret CD reads. No jitter and the ability to have as near perfect read of a CD as you can ever get, is a beautiful thing.
USB does not free you from jitter. See here:
<http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewto...er=asc&start=0>

The USB devices measured here have many times more jitter than a normal CD player digital output.
Old 14th February 2006, 12:54 AM   #800
diyAudio Member

There is an interesting thread on analog to digital recording on Romy's site: http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/...px?PostID=1644

Hide this!Advertise here!