• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your reply Peter.

Guess my next step is to replace the 100uF Elna Silmics and go for the Black Gate N's, then look into getting a dedicated chassis made. Currently my Audiosector kit is just in a Hammond Chassis from Maplins. Very small and no heatsink (using the chassis for that!).

Cheers,

- John

If you want to use each LM4780 chip to amplify one channel you have a choice of either parallel or bridged configurations.

The parallel is easier to implement, as it runs from single ended source and basically there are no limits as to the speaker impedances.

The bridged configuration will sound better, but you need to supply balanced signal to the amp (as amp itself does not do conversion) and the speakers shouldn't go below 6 ohm.

How much is the full case for the dac? Is there anyway to have the plug on the back ? Not sure if it will fit in my cabinet with wires sticking out of both sides. I am replacing a dac that decides every now and again that I like distorted music(Audio Alchemy) so my wires are just the right length.
Thanks

If you need everything in a back, I would suggest using green board and standard case of suitable size.

Below is a nice example how it can be implemented:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you want to go with Premium DAC board and one of my custom DAC chassis, I'm afraid it's not possible, as you would need to run sensitive signal cables right beside transformer; there's also not enough space on a single pannel for signal and power connectors:

unless you would do it like this (with permanent power cord):

A question on the DAC Peter. Is it normal to have a few volts of DC on the RCA output? This was only measured without any connections attached.

The reason I ask is, mine has always been set up as a single source and but now has a Elma for source switching. I'm getting popping during source changes only with the DAC...... all other sources clean. There's no problems with the sound as it's fantastic.

The original design did not have resistors to ground after output coupling caps. So if you measure offset without load connected, you will see some offset. As soon as the DAC connects to a next stage, the offset disappears. This may create some popping when switching sources (depending how the preamp source selection is configured).

I still don't supply those resistors with a kit, as the DAC sounds better without them, however, with a new boards, I made space for them, and if needed, they can be installed (R11/R12 in a picture, 50k or so value)

The DAC is actually mentioned on my site, in May 2005 Latest News. I don't advertise it though, as such kit would be in direct competition with my commercial product, that has been recently reviewed here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiozone5/system.html

So, all marketing of the DAC kit is based on this thread and a word of mouth of happy customers.

Peter:

Is it still possible to purchase a "regular" kit with both RCA and optical inputs? As I understand it this would include everything with the exception of the transformer?

This project is exactly what I'm looking for thanks very much for making it available to the DIY community. I read the review of your commercial products, very cool that you've been able to make the leap into producing your own commercial electronics. I'm sure thats very satisfying, good luck with it.

Cool, great pricing. This includes the DIP version of the DAC? No SMD soldering right? How do you accept payment?

Side questions:

* Has anyone modified this to use an external clock? As I understand it there is a way to "slave" a clocked device over S/PDIF by providing your own clock within the DAC?

* Did the USB interface for this ever become available? If so, how much extra? Can it be switched along w/ the RCA and TOSLINK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.