Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 1st March 2005, 10:21 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The 48VA Hammond transformer is ready for dual voltage operation and the board allows switching, by using jumpers.

The board is completely self contained: BNC and RCAs are mounted directly, as well as AC recepticle. The fuse is soldered underneath. Basically you can mount it on a plank of wood (BTW it sounds best this way) and it's ready to use without ned for chassis. That's actually how I'm using it presently, as it does not need additional shielding.

I should be picking the boards middle of next week.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 1st March 2005, 10:27 PM   #62
diyAudio Moderator

What's the output on those Hammonds?

I would certainly be interested in a kit pack of the difficult to get elements, say, ICs, chokes, connectors, and possibly traffo...
Old 1st March 2005, 10:31 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Initially I was using 2 x 10V AC, but that required removing some of the windings in the receiver section (as the voltage was a bit high for those Panasonic regulators). Later I tried 2 x 8V AC, and it seems to be working fine with both sections (receiver, DAC) without need for modding. So any transformer producing 8V AC should be fine. Please note that there is some voltage drop on series resistors (1V or so)

I was also considering partial kit, with hard to get parts. Some of those parts are simply necessary for best sound and one shouldn't skip them
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 1st March 2005, 10:38 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

I was also experimenting with alternate RCAs and prepared bigger pads so other options are also possible:

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st March 2005, 10:40 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman
Can i email you peter and talk to you ? about the Dac stuff ?
Sure you can.
Old 1st March 2005, 10:45 PM   #66
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
Some of those parts are simply necessary for best sound and one shouldn't skip them
Yes Boss!

The reason I was asking about the traffo is that I have some encapsulated 9-0-0-9 that seem to match the pinout of the Hammonds. Have you estimated current draw for this circuit? My traffos are only 4VA per winding...
Old 1st March 2005, 10:49 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
Now the best part. As I mentioned already somwhere else, I'm not that crazy about snubber anymore, and prefer not to use it. I'm getting very good results with AC power and single 100u BG N caps, but with some efficient speakers it may create slight hum of the drivers, or some might prefer more substantial bass signature. So I made extra holes for 1500u Panasonics which can be used together with those 100u caps (preferably BG N) on amp's board. Also, when snubber isn't used, variety of bypass caps are possible to mount in that place, with spacing ranging from 200-400mil.
So Peter, what are you recommending for caps nowadays? Non-BG of course, I'm not there yet If I understand correctly, no snubbers, 1500uF FC's on the PS boards, and 100uF FC's on the main boards?
Old 1st March 2005, 10:53 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

In my earlier versions I was using 12VA smaller transformers and they worked fine.

The current draw can be calculated: I have series 20R resistors on both rail and ground feed for each section (4 total ). With DAC the drop is 1.14V and for receiver it is 0.95V
Old 1st March 2005, 10:54 PM   #69
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
i'd go for the premium kit.

it's worth it to have all those parts with the kit.

maybe a small blurb on how to implement the 2x3 tubing for chasis.
For those of us who are chasis challenged
Old 1st March 2005, 11:26 PM   #70
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Im very excited to get one and get going : O )

Hide this!Advertise here!