AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 65 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 4th January 2006, 01:48 AM   #641
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Hi Joe,

I sent you the e-mail earlier today. To make sure, I just forwarded it again.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th January 2006, 04:41 AM   #642
DeanP is offline DeanP  Canada
diyAudio Member

I priced out the 750va for my three LM4780s. Kinda like 250va for each one. Do you think it will still be too much for all three hooked up to one tranny? Or do you think a 400va would be better for all three hooked up to one tranny?
Old 4th January 2006, 04:59 AM   #643
diyAudio Member

I never connected more than 2 chips to one transformer. There are some tradeoffs and gains when increasing wattage (although I can't really define them clearly as I didn't experiment enough). From what I remember, with smaller transformers you get more speed and immediacy, with bigger, you gain body and deeper bass, although it may seem a bit "heavy" without enough articulation.

However, since you are aiming at 3 LM4780 chips, which are more current hungry, it may work fine for you.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th January 2006, 12:19 PM   #644
gjo is offline gjo  India
diyAudio Member

Hi folks

I got my premium DAC kit from Peter( who was very prompt in attending to my order, Thanks Peter!) a few days ago and am just starting on it. I had my eye on a DAC for along time, and this looks like the real McCoy My players have an optical output so I am getting a Torx179 receiver to replace the one that Peter sent-I didnt look at the outputs before ordering.

I have ordered a 30VA toroidal locally, and am loking at various possible enclosures. Any suggestions welcome.

George
Bangalore, India
Old 4th January 2006, 05:53 PM   #645
diyAudio Member

The wooden enclosure would be best regarding sound signature, no shielding is needed anyway. How about cigar box?
Old 4th January 2006, 05:58 PM   #646
diyAudio Member

I'm getting ready with finalizing the buffer stage. The board is ready for testing. Adding the quality attenuator at the input may create quite a good preamp (at least that's what I'm hoping for).

Each board is one channel; complete PS is on board (only transformer needs to be connected). For balance configuration, when two boards are needed per channel, they can be stacked, sharing same supply.

I worked on that board design with Veteran, a diy forum member. This is the same person that was behind the Green DAC board design

Click the image to open in full size.

Schematic attached (please note that regulators need to be swapped, they are marked incorrectly).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ml_buffer_sch.pdf (40.6 KB, 1187 views)
Old 4th January 2006, 06:26 PM   #647
diyAudio Member

Here's a more detailed view, not all components are installed yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buffer.jpg (97.6 KB, 2717 views)
Old 4th January 2006, 06:46 PM   #648
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I'm getting ready with finalizing the buffer stage. The board is ready for testing. Adding the quality attenuator at the input may create quite a good preamp (at least that's what I'm hoping for).
Excellent timing Peter. But, I don't see any tubes. I'd almost think you're purposely trying to get me to give up tubes altogether, other than the fact you don't know me.

Regards,
Wade
Old 4th January 2006, 06:48 PM   #649
diyAudio Member

The main reason is that I don't know the tubes
Old 4th January 2006, 10:06 PM   #650
Magsy is offline Magsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
The DAC wasn't really designed to work with computer soundcards, although some people use it like that.

Without input driver present and correct connection to CS8412 the output is inverted. I'm not sure if you can correct it by swapping connection to the receiver, but you may try (it will probably depend on source output)

For reference, this is possible, at least in my config.

It sounds quite different with the phase non inverted, I can't connect my 'phones backwards so this was quite important for me.

Approaching 40 hours now and it is really sounding good, happy at last, very happy!

Hide this!Advertise here!