Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 1st March 2005, 03:23 PM   #51
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I ordered the boards this week, they should be ready the next. Before taking orders I want to show the actual boards. Here's the current layout:
Where are the connections to tie the transformer board to the main board? I see the small pads under the caps, but you might want larger pads if you are going to wire the board to a battery setup or other power supply setup.

--
Brian
Old 1st March 2005, 03:28 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
When you do screen shot, it does not show bottom layer components. This is one board with a scoring line, in case somebody wants to use just the DAC section. I hope the scoring line might also partialy break vibrations transfer from transformer, if such occur. There are 4 series resistors on the bottom, between coils and caps, connecting both sections.

There are jumpers on transformer primary, to set dual voltages. At present, it seems that AC power is actually better than running the DAC from bateries, but again, it will depend on batteries used and quality of the mains.

The board will require a bit advanced assembly procedure, as 4 pins on receiver have to be cut off (to make room for other traces), the bypass caps on the receiver need to be soldered directly to its PS pins, there is one SMD regulator (for ths DAC: in order to disipate heat better, and because there was no room for TO-92 package), the bypass cap on DAC goes over the receiver chip. This is a bit of a 3-D layout, but not confusing in any way. All those choices were made in order to simplify signal paths and possibly improve performance

The board accepts only through hole version of CS8412 (and I have at least 100pcs of those chips available). It will be also gold plated, with clear mask.

There will be another board made as well, accomodating both versions of receiver, and without transformer on board. This board will feature on board regulators for batteries recharging.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 1st March 2005, 05:56 PM   #53
paba is offline paba  Canada
diyAudio Member

Peter, maybe you've answer this already,

can your DAC kit allow for switch/toggle/jumper to input I2S as a second way in?

longer term I would like to go CD-PRO2M kit for my transport, but in the mean time it will be pioneer DVD player.

Thanks
paba
Old 1st March 2005, 06:01 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

There is no such switch and connection point on the board, as this would compromise the layout. However, it can be easily implemented, by cutting 3 traces and adding a toggle switch.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 1st March 2005, 10:23 PM   #55
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
Default DAC Chasis

Peter,

Is there any chance of including 2 x 3 aluminum square tubing
with a kit? Or is it something that's easy to pick up, like at
Metal Supermarkets?

Do you have a recipe for a RCA to BNC cable?

I'm glad i waited and didn't spend the cash on a different kit!

m.
Old 1st March 2005, 10:27 PM   #56
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Default Re: DAC Chasis

Quote:
Originally posted by moe29
Peter,

Is there any chance of including 2 x 3 aluminum square tubing
with a kit? Or is it something that's easy to pick up, like at
Metal Supermarkets?

Do you have a recipe for a RCA to BNC cable?

I'm glad i waited and didn't spend the cash on a different kit!

m.
Metal Supermarkets stocks the 2x3" aluminum tubing. I picked up some a while back.

--
Brian
Old 1st March 2005, 10:34 PM   #57
diyAudio Moderator

Any more idea on pricing for the DACs yet Peter? I've just about got paypal set up and I'm itching to spend some money!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 1st March 2005, 11:05 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Apogee Wyde-Eye http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ntr&1112109257 is a pretty good sounding budget interconnect. I had a chance recently to compare it to Illuminati D-60 and in brief comparison it wasn't really behind, and actually preferred by some of my friends.

The board will be at least $35, and I will come up with budget oriented (parts) kit version: will also be selling set of chips, but the best version of parts selection is approx $200 (including transformer). I'm not sure how many would be interested in that?
Old 1st March 2005, 11:10 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
but the best version of parts selection is approx $200 (including transformer). I'm not sure how many would be interested in that?
Me, possibly less the transformer if it isn't dual primaries for 240V operation.
Old 1st March 2005, 11:16 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
but the best version of parts selection is approx $200 (including transformer). I'm not sure how many would be interested in that?

me, but probably it is better without the tranny. I have a 60VA dual 12V left I might use, as shipping would be a lot lighter and thus cheaper without it to europe.

Hide this!Advertise here!