• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To mount the chips like that, the pins need to be bent 90 deg. With 1/4" spacers there is enough board clearance, as all components are mounted now on the other side of the board (ground and power planes are in bottom layer now).

The grounds of both channels are connected with thick copper wire, which makes the star ground for power supply connections.

I'm still using Rikens, you can see it in a pic below. The feedback resistor is soldered directly to chip pins.

I can supply those caps.

Attachments

• p.jpg
    p.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,197
Peter,

there's a very strange thing.

If I don't have my optical connected - I see 9.2 DC on R3-R4 - which is ok.

Then I connect ground and in to the optical. The oltage on R3-r4 stays the same.

then I connect Vcc of optical to my 5V (which is a 1st leg of U5) - the voltage on R3-R4 drops to 4.4 immediately. The R3-R4 get very hot and eventually (~10 min) the sound stops. The voltage of Vcc on optical is 4.2.

What is this?

Karma,

I don't know if that is true plexiglass (polycarbonate) or lexan. I have cut polycarbonate many times with a table saw, and it is very very touchy. It likes to crack and split. It is not dangerous, but the material tends to crack and run just like a cracked windshield. You need to be very particular about your saw setup. Any little bit of back cut on the blade can cause the plexi to chip and break out. So, take your time on setup and do some test cust on some scrap (if you have it).

The other place to pay particular attention is when you go to drill and attach it to something. When you tighten a screw into it, it likes to shatter around the hole. The trick is to use a bar of aluminum to spead the pressure out when attaching it.

Lexan on the other hand is a completely different beast. It takes abuse and keeps coming back for more. The lexan tends to do more melting than splitting. It is well worth the extra pennies IMO.

Good luck and keep all those digits where they belong.

DaveM

-=Zepplock=- said:
then I connect Vcc of optical to my 5V (which is a 1st leg of U5) - the voltage on R3-R4 drops to 4.4 immediately. The R3-R4 get very hot and eventually (~10 min) the sound stops. The voltage of Vcc on optical is 4.2.

It may be that your optical receiver takes too much current and creates bigger than expected drop on R3/R4.

In the past, I was using TORX179 with a seperate 5V regulator, and didn't experience such problems.

Try to short both resistors and measure voltage before 5V reg, with optical receiver connected.

Yeehah! My kit arrived yesterday! It all looks fantastic! I've downloaded the pdf and I'm ready to go (once my multimeter arrives and I've learnt how to solder - yep, I'm that clueless).

I've just had a quick read of the first few pages of this thread and don't think I can manage the other 90. So, and I know this is a big ask, can anyone tell me if there're any improvements on the original premium kit I should know about before I start building?

I'm trying to document everything as I go, so hopefully you'll only have to spell it out once and then you can refer people to my pages.

Thanks for any replies. Thinking about it, should this be a new thread under chip amps? I don't want to hi-jack this thread. Let me know and I'll move it.

What you can upgrade in Premium kit are filter caps. Normally, I supply Panasonic FC, but for the best version I would recommend BG N 100/50 directly at the chip and BG STD 1000/50 at rectifiers. Everything else stays the same (you also need a very good transformer for best results).

This is the exact configuration I'm using in an award winning Patek amp: ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yeah it is a great peice.

Ok Peter now you know I have to ask....

What do you have on C3, C4, R1 and R2? (R3 is just for the Knome hat LED right?)

Yeah I am nosy, but I figure I might as well make the best freaking amplifier I can. I plan to use this in my main with some FR125s horn floor standards I believe... Plus I LOVE solid state!

While some believe building a chipamp should be done for as cheap as possible.... I disagree on that account and on wire account. The difference in wire is phenominal alone. As I said in another thing, with my desktop setup I can hear the difference between having banana ends on my speaker cable from belden 9259 feeding from my laptops 1/8 jack into an amplifier then to some 871 TB's....

I plan to go with nothing short of at least high copper content brass for this entire thing.

What if I add dedicated regulator for optical and connect it directly to 8V inputs?

Peter Daniel said:

It may be that your optical receiver takes too much current and creates bigger than expected drop on R3/R4.

In the past, I was using TORX179 with a seperate 5V regulator, and didn't experience such problems.

Try to short both resistors and measure voltage before 5V reg, with optical receiver connected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.