AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 25th February 2005, 10:58 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The position of the big caps allows to mount this board horizontally as well, if space is concern. In order to accomodate those extra snubber components, I simply moved diodes closer together (comparing to previous versions). I also reduced the hole sizes (for the diodes) so it will be easier to mount them this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b4.jpg (68.1 KB, 13288 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th February 2005, 11:04 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Now the best part. As I mentioned already somwhere else, I'm not that crazy about snubber anymore, and prefer not to use it. I'm getting very good results with AC power and single 100u BG N caps, but with some efficient speakers it may create slight hum of the drivers, or some might prefer more substantial bass signature. So I made extra holes for 1500u Panasonics which can be used together with those 100u caps (preferably BG N) on amp's board. Also, when snubber isn't used, variety of bypass caps are possible to mount in that place, with spacing ranging from 200-400mil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b5.jpg (57.1 KB, 13297 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 26th February 2005, 12:05 AM   #43
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Looks good peter are you going to listen to them tonight ?
Old 26th February 2005, 12:17 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Very nice Peter. I'm probably going to have to order one before you sell out of them ... I'll probably wind up using my Vishay S102 and RN90Y resistors on it in place of the caddocks. I would really love to find a bunch of 600/680 ohm Corning Glassware carbon comps. I'm not sure if you've used/seen them before, but they make the Rikens look amateurish!

But really, the boards do look stunning. You're right, they're a nice change from all the red/blue/green boards I've been seeing lately. Maybe you should get wild and do your dac board in Purple or Orange

Gotta love all the screening colors out now. Those case-modding overclockers are getting it to permeate everywhere now. I dare say the goldplated/clear screening with the black lettering is by far the most stunning boards I've seen to date, though! Something nice and simple, yet very eye-candyish about them.
Old 26th February 2005, 10:28 PM   #45
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Peter,

Neat stuff!

It's great that we have so many options, now. I'm particularly interested in your DAC offering. Very nice.

Maybe this is thre wrong place and time to ask this, but have you compared your DAC to the other popular kit, the Scott Nixon DacKit or TubeDac+ (TubeKit, in kit form)? Just curious if you have any observations, since some of us have built or are using them. Also, that Ack Dac seems to be highly regarded.

Finally, can you tell us what we must be careful of if we omit the series resistor?

Thanks,
KT
Old 26th February 2005, 10:49 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KT

Maybe this is thre wrong place and time to ask this, but have you compared your DAC to the other popular kit, the Scott Nixon DacKit or TubeDac+ (TubeKit, in kit form)? Just curious if you have any observations, since some of us have built or are using them. Also, that Ack Dac seems to be highly regarded.

Finally, can you tell us what we must be careful of if we omit the series resistor?
I never listened to SN DAC, so connot comment on comparison.

I was comparing my early prototype to Ackdack, and AckDack wasn't better. This was probably last June, and since then I improved my DAC a lot.

When omiting input resistor, check the offset at max volume setting (when using pot at amps input). If no other noises occur, you should be fine.
Old 1st March 2005, 01:04 AM   #47
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
Finally!!! The DAC

Thanks for all the hard work Peter, can't wait to hear it in my system.
Old 1st March 2005, 08:02 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moe29
Finally!!! The DAC

Thanks for all the hard work Peter, can't wait to hear it in my system.

What? Where? I don't see no DAC here?

Where can I order? didn't see it on audioselector
Old 1st March 2005, 01:57 PM   #49
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
I think Peter said he just ordered the boards... so coming soon

i've been asking him about a DAC for quite a while now
Old 1st March 2005, 02:15 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

I ordered the boards this week, they should be ready the next. Before taking orders I want to show the actual boards. Here's the current layout:
Attached Images
File Type: gif dac.gif (25.7 KB, 12892 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!