• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• pat1.jpg
    pat1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,202
-=Zepplock=- said:
How much? ;-)

One of a kind chassis, especially when hand build (like pictured above) are very time consuming and as such are not offered widely. If I'm asked to build something like that on special request, I'm asking at least $350 (chassis only) and it's still not much appealing to me. That's why I rather prefer to show a way how to build it, than actually building it ;)

Presently, only one chassis is being offered, the Integrated Amp chassis. It will become available soon at $250/ set.

edjosh23 said:
I purchased a Freud non-ferrous blade a couple weeks ago for about $45. I finally got to use it this weekend, my first time cutting metal, and WOW! It worked out really well. I have very few tools, but the cuts I made with it were amazing, or atleast for an amatuer like myself.

With a proper blade, cutting aluminum is not much different from cutting wood. If you want to achieve better looking cuts, move the piece really slow. I recently bought 100 teeth blade and I'm amazed with a finish of the cut: it looks almost as if it was milled.

Thanks,

I must have missed that page.

I tried to take a picture of one of my cuts, but my camera is dead. I put the batteries in the camera on Sunday, and took about 7 or 8 pictures, suddenly the batteries are all drained. Now the USB can no longer power the camera either. Time for a new camera. This time I'll be sure to pick out a camera that can take close up pictures.

Thanks,

Josh

sorry if this isn't the place for workshop advice but I thought I'd add my experience.

After a few DIYers had said aluminium cutting was not difficult, I bought myself an aluminium blade cheap(ish) on eBay, which may have been the mistake, and with a bit of trepidation I set out to cut up my 10mm aluminum sheet.

From the start it didn't feel good. One of the teeth kept not clearing itself so I had to keep stopping to pull the swarf out with pliers. After a while that tooth broke off and a different one became the 'collector'.

Needles to say the cut edges will need a lot of sanding.

My aluminum is 6082 T6 which from memory is the high strength grade, so the problem could be a mixture of that or a low quality blade, or something else.

That was definately the blade. There is no reason a carbide blade should load up, unless it is dull or mis-aligned. With missing teeth cutting metal with a table saw becomes increasingly dangerous. The odds of the material grabbing and kicking back increase dramatically. Don't ask me how I know;)

DaveM

aluminium finisher

I've tried to locate the Alodine that you mentioned in a very early thread, to add a finish to my PDA30 amp. In the UK it's "out of stock" bl**dy expensive and the product spec says it gives a golden yellow finish.
I've found Aluma-Dyne E-2300 which it says gives a clear finish. Do you think this is "close enough for Jazz". Interestingly both products are used in the aero industry. http://www.aircraftcoverings.co.uk/main.htm /product catalogue/ conversion coatings; about halfway down the page

Thanks
Kev

Peter,

looking at the production images of your amps rose up a few questions (I did not find an answer in this long thread):

1. How do you mount the chip on the other side of the PCB? Is there not any interference from the solder of the resistors, and how is the pressure maintained to clamp the chip the the heatsink metal?

2. You seem to use only caddocks. No Rikens anymore? And where is the feedback resistor, because there seems to be no more space on the other side?

Klaus

ps: After using the DAC now for a longer period with pleasure, I want to make my Ref Amp also a bit like yours: Can you supply the necessary 2 x 100µF NX (NX) and 2x1000µF Blackgates?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.