Old 26th October 2005, 03:31 PM   #361
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

>> I'm just telling you what sounds best

That's what I love to hear. Thanks.

>>Transormers have voltage regulation margin, which allows specified
>> voltage at full current draw. With normal amp use (or bigger than
>>neccessary transformer) it will never happen, that's why higher
>>voltage than you calculate using formulas.

I see. That makes sense. I didn't know about that.

..Todd
Old 28th October 2005, 04:46 AM   #362
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I'm close to finilizing an output buffer stage that can be used in a preamp or DAC. Here's the proposed board layout. The board contains one audio channel and a complete PS (except for transformer). The size is about 2 x 4" .
Peter,

How is your output buffer project coming along? Or have you been too busy to work on it?

Robert
Old 28th October 2005, 08:17 PM   #363
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The PCB is being finilized as I write it. If things go well, it might go into production next week. As the first batch will be fabricated in Europe, it will take some additional time before I get it here, but it shouldn't be more than a month or so.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 28th October 2005, 09:17 PM   #364
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
The PCB is being finilized as I write it. If things go well, it might go into production next week. As the first batch will be fabricated in Europe, it will take some additional time before I get it here, but it shouldn't be more than a month or so.
Peter,

I'm sure you will keep us up to date......I am interested in building it when ready.

My 2 DACs and LM3875 kit arrived yesterday.....thank you. The boards look great and I am starting to populate them.

For the LM3875s, you mentioned an alum plate heatsink about 3x3x0.5 (in free air). Your example shows using the aluminum chassis walls. If you wanted to use fin type heatsinks inside a chassis, do you have a degC/W rating recommendation?....or an approx. size?

Robert
Old 28th October 2005, 09:20 PM   #365
diyAudio Member

3 x 3 x 0.5 may not be sufficient if you push the amp really hard. It would be better to use at least 3 x 6 plate (per channel)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 29th October 2005, 09:45 PM   #366
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

if anyone wanted to use a donut instead of the other transformer
this place has a box full at $2.00 each new

its not on the webpage but there in the store.

8.5volt

http://www.fcsurplus.com/index_2.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-810f.jpg (80.4 KB, 2303 views)
Old 5th November 2005, 08:26 AM   #367
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Default 4780 board

Hi Peter,

I received the 4780 board and components today. The board looks amazing. Even my wife was impressed. Kudos.

Question: I've just been reading through this thread from the beginning, but I cannot find any reference to the four 10uF/50v caps that were packaged with the diodes. They're not listed on the schematic on your site, which doesn't really cover the rectifier board.

I'm a little confused about how the board(s) should be populated for the parallel configuration. Particularly regarding those caps. Can you point me towards the necessary information?

Thanks.

..Todd
Old 5th November 2005, 09:38 AM   #368
diyAudio Member

Caveat: If this is wrong or inappropriate, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Peter's boards are similar to BrianGT's (they developed the original versions together, I think. I believe the 10uF Panasonic are used in the same position that the 4.7uF Black Gate N's are used on the rectifier board. Check the brianGT assembly guide here for more info.

Hope this helps! Peter and Brian have both created works of art. I think one of my projects will be to build one Peter's gold plated LM3875 amps so it hangs on the wall
Old 5th November 2005, 04:09 PM   #369
diyAudio Member

If you go to my site and enter the LM4780 page: http://www.audiosector.com/lm4780.shtml you will see a link to "Applications Notes": http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...556#post636556 This is where I explained different configurations possible with that board. The board is the step up from the previous design, and offers more options, including bridged/parallel/stereo configurations and snubbers (idea originated by CarlosFm).

Regarding 10u caps, it is recommended to try them in a circuit and decide if they bring improvement or not. Recently, when going with 1500u caps, I'm using 10u cap on negative rail only
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...436#post584436
Old 5th November 2005, 05:36 PM   #370
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

I have a spare Plitron 2114 power torroid from a Zen project abandoned when it was decided not to build something drawing enough current to soften power cords. It's 2x25 VAC at 1000 VA. I'm looking for an alternate reference for voicing SET amps, is this transformer a suitable match for one of your kits?

Hide this!Advertise here!