AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 20th February 2005, 03:56 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I'm here, but I still have to pick up the pieces (of the DAC offer)

I choose BNC, because it's a better type of connector for digital. If someone wants RCA I will include adaptor. I also think that Vampire board mount RCA is interchangable with BNC, so it can be substituted.

The board will be probably $35, There will be at least two different kit versions partswise and one offered completely assembled. I'm not sure about prices yet.

I have two different board layouts, one with transformer, one without. I will be ordering the first one next week, the second one is being fabricated in Europe and will be available within a month.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 20th February 2005, 11:49 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Peter,

You are a very talented mechanical designer. Have you given any thought to perhaps adding chassis/enclosures for non gainclone amplifiers? Based on the response to the group buys jrsun sponsors there may be a market for a sturdy, well designed chassis for a 100 watt class A or 200 watt AB amplifier. I dislike (but really have no choice) the chassis fabrication when DIYing an amp. I have been on Google and there are just very few manufacturers who offer this type of product.
Old 22nd February 2005, 08:19 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I checked WIKI page started by jrsun and it seems like are only 5 inquieries with regards to big amp chassis. I don't think such chassis would be very popular.

It is my opinion that the chassis I created for A-75 amp was the simplest approach, and it presented itself quite nicely, but even simple chassis like that is quite expensive to make.

You have to buy at least 100 heatsink extrusions to qualify for $50 price, then fabricating additional panels and brackets might run you another $100. So we already up to $200 per chassis. To make the offer profitable, I would have to be selling it for at least $300, but even then all the trouble with packaging and shipping such big item doesn't make it appealing at all.

One way to do it, would be creating a kit that is used with a given heatsink extrusion and size (while everybody interested would orders heatsinks personally from a same vendor like it was done in a past: R-Theta group buy). But this would require to drill holes in the heatsinks by the end user and complicates the assembly.

Considering all the hard work and trouble involved in organizing and delivering such kit, there is simply no profit in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dan1.jpg (47.9 KB, 15671 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 22nd February 2005, 06:08 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

I believe jrsun is also asking $450USD per enclosure for the larger ones. That probably limits the enthusiasm for them as well.

$600 per pair from $900 per pair is quite a difference.

-David
Old 22nd February 2005, 08:14 PM   #25
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I'm here, but I still have to pick up the pieces (of the DAC offer)

I choose BNC, because it's a better type of connector for digital. If someone wants RCA I will include adaptor. I also think that Vampire board mount RCA is interchangable with BNC, so it can be substituted.

The board will be probably $35, There will be at least two different kit versions partswise and one offered completely assembled. I'm not sure about prices yet.

I have two different board layouts, one with transformer, one without. I will be ordering the first one next week, the second one is being fabricated in Europe and will be available within a month.
The vampire wire connectors have the same footprint as the BNCs, and work great. I used them on the layout I made for Vikash:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...151#post581151

I look forward to seeing the new dac boards

--
Brian
Old 24th February 2005, 06:07 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

It looks like the DAC board is finaly done. I will be ordering it this week. Here's a pic.

I calculated the cost of the parts in the Premium version (that I'm currently using) and it gets pretty close to $200, including transformer. 1/3 rd of it is due to 4pcs of 1000/25 BG NX and MSR860. The diodes are almost $2/pc in 100pc quantities, which was quite surprising, considering much lower cost of MUR860.

There will be a scoring line, that can separate PS section from the actual DAC circuit. As you see, the PS takes 2/3rds of the board area. The width allows fitting it inside 2 x 3 aluminum square tubing. Transformer can be set with jumpers for dual voltage.
Attached Images
File Type: gif dac.gif (36.5 KB, 10374 views)
Old 24th February 2005, 02:25 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman
Can i buy one ? Or have a demo'd one ?
I might trade it for a set of your Mini A boards

The DAC boards will be available as soon as they are fabricated. I only have 2 demo boards, one that I'm using presently, the other is on loan.
Old 24th February 2005, 02:51 PM   #28
fireman is offline fireman  Canada
diyAudio Member

I can't wait to hear more comments on this DAC and how it compares to commercial products. With quite a few chipamp flavorss to choose from, a new DAC offering, all that is really missing is a good quality phono stage.

Anyone up for this next challenge ???
Old 24th February 2005, 02:54 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Actually, I am seriously considering coming up with a phonostage.
Old 24th February 2005, 03:36 PM   #30
fireman is offline fireman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sweet !!!

Hide this!Advertise here!