AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 297 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 17th June 2014, 09:51 PM   #2961
polaron is offline polaron  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderTD View Post
I finally found suitable enclosure and thinking to order one of the kits to introduce myself to world of "simple" gainclones as well as convinient way to test balanced vs single ended outputs of my dac. But which one?

I have Buffalo III dac with discrete Legato output stage and wanted to try shortest signal path possible using integrated (ES9018) volume control to output directly to chipamp.
LM3875 is easiest choice, but it means i'll have to use dac's bal>se stage which consist of opamp followed by a buffer (lme49600) and their neg.feedbacks which doesn't make it as short and straight as balanced outputs to say bridged LM4780 which are also coupling caps free (If common-mode DC is not a problem, can null differential DC). Or maybe i can use paired LM3875 in bridged configuration?

My speakers are 95db and 6 ohm minimum so should be easy load for both?
I'd appreciate opinions/suggestions
Hi Alexander
You can use Buff dac with output stage from lampizator then to chip amp, I'll do it to connect it directly to my LM3886. This may be a much better output and... no opamp!
http://lampizator.eu/shop/viewcategory.php?groupid=24

Last edited by polaron; 17th June 2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 17th June 2014, 10:19 PM   #2962
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaron View Post
Hi Alexander
You can use Buff dac with output stage from lampizator then to chip amp, I'll do it to connect it directly to my LM3886. This may be a much better output and... no opamp!
Lampizator - AMBER TUBE KIT
FWIW, I ran a DAC (1541a) with Lampizator output hardwired to Peter's LM3886 via (lightspeed attenuator) happily for 5 years. First class sound. 2 components you can't do without are Peter's delux kit, and Lampizator output on your favorite DAC. If I recall the Buffalo is a voltage out DAC in which case you get to use the fabulous 6n6p tube. Otherwise if current, 6np2 is the winner.
Old 17th June 2014, 10:32 PM   #2963
polaron is offline polaron  France
diyAudio Member

Default Terrific sound

Hi Wlowes,
That's the way to go, I agree.
No matter the dac, nos, sabre, (the best as possible), I lampizate it to the LM amp.
And we can forget single ended versus balanced, (in this case....).
I'm glad to know you have the output stage from Lpztr. It means that may be I'm not crazy.
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:46 AM   #2964
diyAudio Member

I finally ordered LM3875 kit to try, just a small question - is it really good idea to use transformer with 22v secondaries or 24v will work just as well? I ask because i already have one, but getting new 22v is no problem too if it's desireable...

Last edited by AlexanderTD; 2nd September 2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:44 AM   #2965
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

What does Audiosector have to say?
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:45 PM   #2966
diyAudio Member

Audiosector says:
"The attached graph shows powers output vs supply voltage for different loads. Based on that, for 8 ohm speakers 2 x 22V AC transformer is recommended, and for 4 ohm speakers 2 x 18V AC transformer. In practice, I didn't find any drawbacks with using 2 x 22V AC secondaries with 4 ohms either, so that value can be a good overall choice." - (from Peter Daniels guide)

I forgot tomention - i have 8 (6 min) ohm speakers, so i guess it should work for me at first, but 22V may be more optimal...

Last edited by AlexanderTD; 2nd September 2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 2nd September 2014, 01:09 PM   #2967
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I finally ordered LM3875 kit to try, just a small question - is it really good idea to use transformer with 22v secondaries or 24v will work just as well? I ask because i already have one, but getting new 22v is no problem too if it's desireable...
I used a 24v Plitron driving 8ohm speakers and was very happy with the result. It was my first DIY effort and served me well for many years. See post 1817 for description.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:43 PM   #2968
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Peter mentioned to me last year that 24Volts might even potentially work better
with the speaker I would be driving with it.

So you should be fine. Setbacks have prevented me from putting it together and my listening priorities due to apartment situation have switched to primarily headphone listening. I still intend to build it soon and run it temporarily as a headphone amp.

jgwtriode

Hide this!Advertise here!