AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 287 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 7th May 2012, 02:19 PM   #2861
diyAudio Member

I have been skimming this sight in preperation for building my first gainclone, a 3875 Just a few quick questions. Will be running it with Fostex FE 206 en, most likely enabled, in a Martin King style transmission line.

1. Can I use a 1500uf 35V Panasonic FM or a 1000uf 50V FM?
2. Any thoughts on Mundorf 4 Pole Mylitics?
3. Does the amp benfit from power supply regulation?

Thanks for all the info on this site,
Jgwtriode
Old 7th May 2012, 09:25 PM   #2862
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Yes, you can use those caps, never tried Mundorfs though.

Some people claim gains with regulated supplies, I tried it once but didn't like the results: Hi End, regulated Gainclone module
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 8th May 2012, 04:17 AM   #2863
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter:

Are your Universal Power Supply Boards still available? If not I will improvise. I want to do the Mundorf Myltic 4 pole caps. 1000uf snap in's. They are rated 160 Volts. Then on the amp boards I will either use 100uf/50V Panasonic FM or Panasonic Pureism. I'd go BG N or std but they are too hard to find although sonic craft has some...but very pricey. If i may inquire what are the dimensions of your bronze heat sink. I will be ordering as soon as I know about the boards hopefully tommorrow. If they are available how do I order them, since they are not on your site currently? Any thoughts on cotton insulated 7N silver wire. I have been looking at VH Audio's site and am thinking about this for internal wiring and to follow their DIY Interconnect recipe.

Thanks for all your efforts
jgwtriode
Old 8th May 2012, 02:49 PM   #2864
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Yes, the PS boards are available, contact me through PM for payment details.
The heatsink is approx. 6 x 3 x 1.5" but I'd rather go with copper theses days, bronze doesn't transfer heat that well: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...-amp-yet-2.jpg

Certainly that wire is worth a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS.jpg (108.3 KB, 525 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 8th May 2012, 05:01 PM   #2865
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter:

What about the sound of copper vs bronze? Does the heat issue outweigh that?

Pardon me but what do you mean through PM for payment details. I'm ready to send you

a paypal for the Premium 3875 and also these PS circuit boards.

Your awesome btw,
jgwtriode
Old 8th May 2012, 05:15 PM   #2866
diyAudio Member

What's your opinion on solder? I am familiar with Cardas Eutectic, which is very nice to work with. Have also used WBT when I was working at Kimber Kable and have also used the older lead based Wonder solder. A good friend of mine who designs the Escalante Loudspeakers has always recommended Multicore brand solder which he prefers to all the exotics.

Thanks,
jgwtriode
Old 8th May 2012, 08:52 PM   #2867
diyAudio Member

The sound of a heat sink?

Nevermind, I see you worked at Kimber Kable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwtriode View Post
Thanks Peter:

What about the sound of copper vs bronze? Does the heat issue outweigh that?

Pardon me but what do you mean through PM for payment details. I'm ready to send you

a paypal for the Premium 3875 and also these PS circuit boards.

Your awesome btw,
jgwtriode
Old 9th May 2012, 01:39 PM   #2868
diyAudio Member

Peter:

I found some plitrons on sale . They are 300 VA with 24V secondaries Any problems with using those for my 3875?

jgwtriode
Old 10th May 2012, 07:17 AM   #2869
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

My apology for long time delay in continuing the NOS DAC. And sorry for repeat my question with updated measurement.

Following the QA session about the faulty of my DAC (AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis), I asked my friend to verify the digital output of my CDP. Then used scope to measure:
- the digital signal output of CDP: I can detect square (not perfect) waves when press Play.
- signal input of SN75179, between pin 4 and 8: the signal is almost the same as what I get from CDP's digital out
- signal output of SN75179 to CS8412's RXP and RXN: I can only see negative level on RXN and positive level on RXP, no wave.
- signal on pin 1,2,3 of TDA1543: square waves can be seen at 1 (BCK), 2 (WS) but no signal at 3 (DATA). The scope screen shows : "wait for trigger ..." whenever I touch the scope's tip to pin 3.
+ I checked the voltage at CS8412 pin 28, still get ~5V when I press "Play" , which means the CS unable to "lock" incoming signal (I learned this from here: All you ever need to know about DAC kits).
+ I also used the scope to compute the frequency at TDA1543 pin 2: not 44.1kHz (I also learned this technique from above page)

I checked the voltage at 4 ANs and at the outputs of TDA1543. Values are very close (same) as what you indicated in the DAC schema.

What is the problem here?
Would any of the receiver chip CS8412? or TDA1543 or SN17975? Or other component die?
What could you suggest me to do?

Many Thanks
Regards,
HT
Old 10th May 2012, 07:28 AM   #2870
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwtriode View Post
Peter:

I found some plitrons on sale . They are 300 VA with 24V secondaries Any problems with using those for my 3875?

jgwtriode
Hi jgwtriode,
For your reference, I am using Nuvotem Transformer,toroidal,300VA,0-230V pri,50/60Hz,2x0-25V sec bought from RS without any problem.
IMO, sec from 22-25V would fit your need perfectly. You may find Peter's comment with detail here (AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis) upto this (AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis)

HT

Last edited by deepblue2010; 10th May 2012 at 07:31 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!