AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 252 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 17th January 2009, 11:17 PM   #2511
diyAudio Member

I love how elegant your grounding solutions always are. Is the resistor necessary? Or does it just reduce noise.
Old 17th January 2009, 11:20 PM   #2512
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It separates amp ground from chassis ground which is connected directly to Earth ground. It is not neccessary and I had amps without that resistor.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:10 AM   #2513
diyAudio Member

Okay my LED isn't lighting up... Everything look okay in there to you guys??
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:33 AM   #2514
diyAudio Member

What value resistor did you install for R3? The diode is polarized and will light up only with long pin on +
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 23rd January 2009, 05:15 AM   #2515
diyAudio Member

The Square pad on the pcb is + no?

Also, what's the source voltage? Would it be 24V because I have a 24v sec on the rectifier?

I have an 820ohm resistor on it (it's a yellow LED with a 30mA forward current and 2.1 forward v.
Old 23rd January 2009, 05:26 AM   #2516
diyAudio Member

Yes, the square is on V+, however, 820R is probably too small. I'm using 22k with Panasonic miniature yellow LED and 62K with the red.
Old 23rd January 2009, 05:30 AM   #2517
diyAudio Member

Okay... I can't find a chart with resistor values that helps me with my LED, any idea what I should be using instead?

Incidentally... I'm only getting .8v AC coming out of my traffo and 1.2ish dc of the bridge. Do I need a load attached or is something terribly the mattter.
Old 23rd January 2009, 05:32 AM   #2518
diyAudio Member

It looks like the fuse might be gone. I would try 20k first with a LED and then adjust for desired brightness.
Old 23rd January 2009, 06:44 AM   #2519
diyAudio Member

Fuse intact, swapped in a new one jic. I flipped my primaries and the bulb tester lit up so I know I was on the right primaries. I read less than a volt AC at the secondaries and just over after the bridge. Is it possible my traffo has taken a dump in-between now and when I bench tested?
Old 3rd February 2009, 05:31 AM   #2520
RKH is offline RKH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pics of my DAC

Trying to upload a photo of my DAC...let's see. Okay, that worked. I wanted to say thanks to Peter for the fabulous kit. My version here worked first try (Peter soldered the surface mount components). I put the system (described in the next paragraph) together in one go so I don't have proper before-after comparisons. All i can say is that it sounds great.

The DAC is mounted on a solid piece of what started out as 8/4 cherry. My source is iTunes with lossless files feeding the DAC. The DAC supplies Pete Millett's hybrid headphone/pre amp which in turn drives a Decware Zen experimenters Tube Amp (built from kit... I can supply photos of the whole set up if anyone is curious.) Those 1.8 watts drive some vintage Klipsch Heresys.

I'll stop there. As I said, it all sounds fabulous. Life is good.

Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0018_2.jpg (91.8 KB, 1209 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!