AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 243 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 23rd December 2008, 04:24 PM   #2421
diyAudio Member

Perhaps I will try another earth ground.

The green nub is gone, everything in that area is cleaned up. It was leftover from my grounding experience with earth ground that made massive amounts of noise in the system, that I then connected to neutral, then soldered other grounds too for awhile trying things.

The safe thing I could do would be to somehow make a drain for the capacitors and chassis to neutral, and a fuse, oldschool pre-earth ground way but I am not going too.
Old 23rd December 2008, 05:04 PM   #2422
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

HELP !

how do we advise on a safe build for a mains socket that does not have an Earth connection?
Old 23rd December 2008, 05:10 PM   #2423
diyAudio Member

I sanded it and now the ground is better, the noise in the speakers is less distortion and more a hum and maybe some FM... I guess I got to get those caps.
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:00 PM   #2424
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
HELP !

how do we advise on a safe build for a mains socket that does not have an Earth connection?

I guess you could do what major mfg do for equipment with two-prong power (no earth ground): Tie transformer secondary GND to chassis and fuse the secondaries.

I do not personally do this, but if you are looking for idiot-proof safety, there you go.

This is also dependent on your location. In the US (120V), Mains neutral is tied to GND at the electrical panel, but this can not be counted on (DO NOT TRY TO TIE NEUTRAL TO THE CHASSIS) as I have seen hundreds on outlets with Hot and Neutral reversed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nikkoalpha230-ps.jpg (76.7 KB, 742 views)
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:05 PM   #2425
diyAudio Member

Maybe you could reroute your transformer secondaries away from the amp channel(s) and your PSU leads away from signal lines.
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:07 PM   #2426
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
How about connecting chassis to a ground rod with proper gauge wire?

Click the image to open in full size.

GROUND RODS: The 2002 NEC does not recognize a metal underground water pipe as a suitable “additional electrode” for supplementing a single ground rod. If the resistance of a single ground rod exceeds 25 ohms to ground and there are no suitable “additional electrodes” (Art. 250.56 refers you to Art. 250.52 (A)(2) through (A) (7)), a second ground rod must be driven (at least 6’ away). You may be required to certify the quality of your installed grounding electrode system. If you have a “single ground rod” installation and there are no other available electrodes, you can avoid such certification requests by providing an additional ground rod prior to requesting an inspection. Factors taken into consideration will be the quality of the soil, whether or not the soil has been disturbed, whether or not the rod is driven as opposed to being laid in a trench or next to a footer, etc. On jobs where a building or structure containing no available electrodes is supplied by another building, the grounding electrode (usually a ground rod) that you install will already be supplemented by the grounding electrode system at the “first” building via the installed equipment grounding conductor between buildings or the bonded neutral at the “second” building. Art. 250.56
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:34 PM   #2427
diyAudio Member

I've always found this funny:

Quote:
If the resistance of a single ground rod exceeds 25 ohms to ground
How to you measure the resistance to ground, other than the 6-8ft copper rod you just drove in? Stick a probe in the dirt?

Typical is a ground rod, then a secondary ground to the water main pipe, before the meter (which is getting tougher in newer construction because of plastic water mains).
Old 24th December 2008, 08:01 AM   #2428
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

If you are going to install an Earthing system, the UK has many rules governing design, installation and testing.
These are very onerous.

Do not attempt a DIY Earthing System without fully complying with your local rules. They are put in place to save your life!
Old 24th December 2008, 12:38 PM   #2429
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do not attempt a DIY Earthing System without fully complying with your local rules. They are put in place to save your life!
Correct, I should have mentioned "When working as an electrician..."

PD: Sorry for the thread clutter
Old 25th December 2008, 05:10 AM   #2430
diyAudio Member

My landlord just needs to call an electrician and bite the bullet.

Hide this!Advertise here!