AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 215 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 9th April 2008, 06:45 PM   #2141
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It looks OK, except that you are missing one power connection on each board (V+ and V-); they should be run parallel from PS to each board (4 wires in total plus 2 ground wires)

Also, the ground to speakers can be run directly from from OG on each board, not neccessarily from star ground which I use only for power supplies.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 10th April 2008, 04:15 PM   #2142
bling is offline bling  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simclone13.jpg (88.0 KB, 1173 views)
Old 10th April 2008, 04:23 PM   #2143
diyAudio Member

Now it's really good and that's how I do my amps.

In case of stereo amp, with a single transformer and single rectifier board, I indeed prefer to use wire between OG points on both boards and connect power grounds centrally there.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 12th April 2008, 12:41 AM   #2144
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default wire guage

Quote:
Originally posted by bling
Thanks for your replies.
The only thing I would question is the wire guage. Very small (28+) is good for the signal path. Would you agree that the star ground does well with large guage (18+)? Signal out is likely medium.
Old 12th April 2008, 02:59 AM   #2145
diyAudio Member

I use gauge 14-12 to connect OG on both boards, power and speaker wires are 18-20ga and signal wire is 26ga.
Old 12th April 2008, 11:57 AM   #2146
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default wire guage

I have only built one, so I followed your advice and benefited from your research. I used bare copper 12 on the OG (had to sand it down to get it into the pcb) 18 to the speaker (copper) and 3 strands of 30 guage pure silver on the input hard wired to your DAC. The sound is very clean and alive.
Old 13th April 2008, 08:17 PM   #2147
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter.

Would you mind taking a few moments to check out the internal arrangement of my 'Budget Patek' please?

I couldn't afford Black Gates so using 4 x 100uF Elna Silmics at the chips, and 300VA 2 x 25V transformer in separate PSU enclosure, with one of your rectifier boards, and two Black Gate 1000uF / 50v caps.

I noticed in an earlier post that the speaker grounds should go to that point marked on the circuit board. Mine are currently on the copper cross bar - is this OK or would I get slightly better results using the board point instead?

Please note that the current build also contains an 4mm thick copper heatsink on the bottom of the chassis for improved heatsinking.

Many thanks.

- John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg budget patek.jpg (69.9 KB, 1020 views)
Old 13th April 2008, 08:46 PM   #2148
diyAudio Member

It looks good. In Patek I also mount speaker ground wire on both sides of copper crossbar, you may still trim it a bit and do it right at the board:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th April 2008, 09:28 PM   #2149
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter - reason I asked is that I get a very faint hum from the speakers, though admittedly that's with my head practically INSIDE it haha!

Being a perfectionist I'd like to get rid of the hum altogether. I'm thinking perhaps I need a bit more capacitance that 2 x 1000uF on the rectifier boards. I did try just using them without the Black Gates and just the 100uF's on the amp boards but I got alot louder hum then.

I'll try 2200uF 50V Panasonic FC's and see if that helps.

- John

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (91.2 KB, 961 views)
Old 13th April 2008, 09:45 PM   #2150
diyAudio Member

Do you get hum without source connected, input shunt to ground?

Hide this!Advertise here!