Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 3rd December 2007, 10:56 PM   #1981
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: grounding scheme

Quote:
Originally posted by joshuajoshua
I notice in your Patek Amp design, you put a chassis connection from the star point ground thru a small value resistor. I believe this is for safety reason in which it gets connected to the earth ground connection at separated power supply module...cmiiw..

That brings me to another different question, does the 0 volt point at secondary side of the transformer has always to be connected to the earth ground? Can we just leave it floating?
I don't connect 0V from transformer to Earth ground, only PS chassis is connected to Earth ground.

The power ground in the amp is connected to the chassis through 10R resistor.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:38 PM   #1982
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: grounding scheme

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

I don't connect 0V from transformer to Earth ground, only PS chassis is connected to Earth ground.

The power ground in the amp is connected to the chassis through 10R resistor.

Ok, so 0 volt from transformer is floating refers to earth ground. Can you please help me to understand what is the purpose of connecting the power ground in the amp to its chassis thru 10R?

The reason being is I plan to build separate chassis for the amp (dual mono amp in 1 chassis) and the PS (using 2 transformer in 1 chassis). And yes, I think it's better to have the 0 volt power ground floated from the earth ground to avoid possible ground loop inside the system or with other equipment thru the outlet ground power. But on the other hand, I won't have safety feature just incase the hot voltage leaking thru amp chassis - as it is floating from the earth ground.

I think I will make a connection from PS chassis to amp chassis, in that way it provides the current path for any unexpected voltage in both chassis to be drawn to earth.
Can you give an opinion for this arrangement?

Thanks for the quick response.....

Joshua
Old 4th December 2007, 01:34 AM   #1983
diyAudio Member

I use 10R resistors to separate both grounds, you may use it, but it's not neccessary.

Connecting amp chassis with PS chassis to have Earth ground on both is a good idea and Patek has a bottom screw that allows it as well: http://audiosector.com/images/patek2/patek2_08.jpg
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th December 2007, 02:58 AM   #1984
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I use 10R resistors to separate both grounds, you may use it, but it's not neccessary.

Connecting amp chassis with PS chassis to have Earth ground on both is a good idea and Patek has a bottom screw that allows it as well: http://audiosector.com/images/patek2/patek2_08.jpg

Ok, I think I can incorporate earth ground path thru amp power conduit (probably in the form of conduit shield - which can protect the amp power cable from RFI?) and screw it inside the amp chassis.
I guess I can still maintain the floating state for the amp, while having safety feature implemented

Thanks for the feedback Peter!

Joshua
Old 4th December 2007, 10:56 AM   #1985
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter

I realise they are a commercial product but have you ever considered making the Patek chassis available for DIY? It is a lovely-looking unit.
Old 4th December 2007, 02:18 PM   #1986
diyAudio Member

Patek chassis was available to whoever asked about it. The price was approx $400 and it included input/output connectors and umbilical cord.

I'm down to 3 chassis at the moment and those are reserved for complete amps, but when the new batch is ordered that chassis may be available again.

I recently came up with an integrated version of the amp and it got very good response from the first customer:

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

BTW, Patek has been recently nominated as "Favourite Discovery of 2007" by one of the 6moons reviewer: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatur.../stephaen.html
Old 5th December 2007, 06:21 AM   #1987
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

:drooooooool:

I feel so inadequate after seeing pics of your builds

Superb craftsmanship. Kudos!
Old 5th December 2007, 11:19 AM   #1988
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That's very sweet. The mainstream high end looks so ponderous by comparison.
Old 5th December 2007, 11:30 PM   #1989
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: magnet wire

Quote:
Originally posted by joshuajoshua
Does anybody have any experience of using magnet wire for interconnection for gainclone amp in particular ...or for any amp in general?

Joshua
I have experimented with magnet wire and found it worked well. I followed a design posted elsewhere. A flat cable is made with clear packing tape keeping + & - wires 1/2" apart. I used 24 gauge on the neg and 2 strands of 28 on the pos. It was simple and sounded better than anything previous. Strip the enamel with little fine sand paper.

Since then I have built cables using the same architecture but much better wire. Another big step forward. I now use pure 24 gauge silver on the neg and 3 strands of 30 gauge on the pos. 2 strands are silver and one fine gold. This cleared up distortion in the high end that comes with copper. The gold added warmth. Pretty hard to justify the cost of gold. ($10/foot) I am sure silver is almost as good at a fraction the cost. The silver wire is dirt cheap at www.myrontoback.com. Great info on cable design at http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...409&read&3&4&.

For me the results are well worth it. Just finished adding Peter's USB DAC to the chip amp using these cables. Nothing could be finer.
Old 8th December 2007, 09:04 PM   #1990
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default volume pot

Peter,

I like to use Alps quad pots as volume control, I think 20k log pot is ideal.

The vendor has only 10k or 50k, I think 10k is a little low and 50k too high.

If I have a choice which one should I pick?

thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!