AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 198 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 26th November 2007, 03:30 PM   #1971
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

hi,
and the flexible leadouts allow rotation of the transformer to orient the hum field for minimum noise.
Old 26th November 2007, 04:20 PM   #1972
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
hi,
and the flexible leadouts allow rotation of the transformer to orient the hum field for minimum noise.

Ah, good point

Can you explain it in detail how to achieve the optimum transformer orientation? Is it just simply trying to orient the transformer and listen for the resulted hum?

Joshua
Old 28th November 2007, 02:24 AM   #1973
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by joshuajoshua

Ah, good point

Can you explain it in detail how to achieve the optimum transformer orientation? Is it just simply trying to orient the transformer and listen for the resulted hum?

Joshua

Correct, also mounting it above the chassis, ie on a block of wood or rubber helps.
Old 28th November 2007, 02:32 AM   #1974
diyAudio Member

In regards to rotating transformers, is there are way to be sure to get the orientation right the first time ?

If not, what are the maximum degrees of rotation necessary ? Once these things are wired up, it'll be a major pain of you need to rotate 180 degrees, only to find the wires aren't long enough !!!
Old 28th November 2007, 02:35 AM   #1975
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by lordvader
In regards to rotating transformers, is there are way to be sure to get the orientation right the first time ?

If not, what are the maximum degrees of rotation necessary ? Once these things are wired up, it'll be a major pain of you need to rotate 180 degrees, only to find the wires aren't long enough !!!

Its not a HUGE issue, your best bet is to make sure the wires are short and cleanly soldered to the board, another good thing ( noted above ) isolate it from the chassis.

The less hum you can create the beter, gain clones are very prone to hum You can look at it and recieve hum LOL, im sure you'll be fine tho.
Old 1st December 2007, 06:30 PM   #1976
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman

Correct, also mounting it above the chassis, ie on a block of wood or rubber helps.

Thanks for the tips!

Joshua
Old 2nd December 2007, 11:43 PM   #1977
diyAudio Member

Default magnet wire

Does anybody have any experience of using magnet wire for interconnection for gainclone amp in particular ...or for any amp in general?

Is it a benefit or vice versa?

Let me hear your comment please.....
Thanks in advance!

Joshua
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:08 AM   #1978
Banned

Default Re: magnet wire

Quote:
Originally posted by joshuajoshua
Does anybody have any experience of using magnet wire for interconnection for gainclone amp in particular ...or for any amp in general?

Is it a benefit or vice versa?

Let me hear your comment please.....
Thanks in advance!

Joshua
pin in the BUT to use, plus strip the coating off of. Just stick to some decent silver/decent wire :P make life simple not harder, once amp is up and ruining then do it, if yuo think you can hear the difference then go for it, but i doubt you will :P
Old 3rd December 2007, 02:42 AM   #1979
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: magnet wire

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman

pin in the BUT to use, plus strip the coating off of. Just stick to some decent silver/decent wire :P make life simple not harder, once amp is up and ruining then do it, if yuo think you can hear the difference then go for it, but i doubt you will :P

Right, i might give a try but later...:P..

Thanks for the prompt response.

Joshua
Old 3rd December 2007, 10:29 PM   #1980
diyAudio Member

Default grounding scheme

Peter,

I notice in your Patek Amp design, you put a chassis connection from the star point ground thru a small value resistor. I believe this is for safety reason in which it gets connected to the earth ground connection at separated power supply module...cmiiw..

That brings me to another different question, does the 0 volt point at secondary side of the transformer has always to be connected to the earth ground? Can we just leave it floating?

Thanks,

Joshua

Hide this!Advertise here!