AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 197 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 16th November 2007, 11:02 PM   #1961
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Hi Mike, you will find more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unknown_Pleasures
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 17th November 2007, 06:44 PM   #1962
DeanP is offline DeanP  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default ground loop problem

Peter,
I was wondering if you could look at my thread here.

I would like your thoughts on my problem...ground loop
Old 19th November 2007, 06:16 PM   #1963
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter - How did the buffer work out for preamp use?
Old 24th November 2007, 06:14 AM   #1964
diyAudio Member

Default transformer brand

Hi all! I'm a newbie here....
Don't mean to interrupt the ongoing subject, but hopefully here is the correct thread to post my question...

Peter,

I'm planning to built dual mono gainclone LM3875. I read from your previous thread that Plitron brand is highly recommended toroidal transformer. Then Avel. Do you have any opinion about Hammond in comparison to the previous ones?

Thanks,

Joshua
Old 26th November 2007, 01:29 AM   #1965
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default Re: transformer brand

Quote:
Originally posted by joshuajoshua
Hi all! I'm a newbie here....
Don't mean to interrupt the ongoing subject, but hopefully here is the correct thread to post my question...

Peter,

I'm planning to built dual mono gainclone LM3875. I read from your previous thread that Plitron brand is highly recommended toroidal transformer. Then Avel. Do you have any opinion about Hammond in comparison to the previous ones?

Thanks,

Joshua
If you try a Hammond, you will have alot of problems moving the secondary wires around, they are EXTREMELY stiff, the Plitrons are very soft. You could also purchase it from Avel, i use them and i like them alot.

Jase
Old 26th November 2007, 02:19 AM   #1966
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: transformer brand

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Hi Peter - How did the buffer work out for preamp use?
The buffer was mainly intended to use at the output of the DAC. It can be still used in a preamp, but I can't say how well it will perform. I tried it briefly with the 10k relay volume attenuator: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...38#post1175938 but I wasn't happy with the results (one reason could be that the impedances were not the best match)

Quote:
Originally posted by joshuajoshua
I never used high power Hammond toroids, so I can't really comment. I used a lot of smaller Hammonds and I like them. I actually built a power supply for Shigaraki transport using 70VA 266 Series Hammond and in direct comparison it was better than the original Dumpty.

As to the secondary leads stiffnes, I wouldn't make my choice depending on that. It may be an advantage if it's the same wire as used in a transformer.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 26th November 2007, 05:38 AM   #1967
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: transformer brand

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman

If you try a Hammond, you will have alot of problems moving the secondary wires around, they are EXTREMELY stiff, the Plitrons are very soft. You could also purchase it from Avel, i use them and i like them alot.

Jase

Thanks for the info.

May I know your Avel transformer setup (power & secondary voltage rating)?

Joshua
Old 26th November 2007, 05:38 AM   #1968
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: transformer brand

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

I never used high power Hammond toroids, so I can't really comment. I used a lot of smaller Hammonds and I like them. I actually built a power supply for Shigaraki transport using 70VA 266 Series Hammond and in direct comparison it was better than the original Dumpty.

As to the secondary leads stiffnes, I wouldn't make my choice depending on that. It may be an advantage if it's the same wire as used in a transformer.
Encouraging result of that comparison to use Hammond..

Do you mean that the stiffnes as one of a sign of a bigger wire gauge? And if it is used as a coil itself in the transformer, it will have less resistive loss in that coil?

Joshua
Old 26th November 2007, 07:09 AM   #1969
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

If the transformer's wire leads are solid core , then it's worth changing them to stranded for the extra flexibility and resistance to fatigue.
Old 26th November 2007, 02:35 PM   #1970
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
If the transformer's wire leads are solid core , then it's worth changing them to stranded for the extra flexibility and resistance to fatigue.

Personally I prefer to connect it directly to the board/rectifier as long as it has enough length to route the wire in ‘relax’ position. Probably full solid core connection (it the transformer does have it) to the bridge will give a little bit better regulation?

But I can see your point, the trade off of mechanical stress to the leads especially in solder joint if it is not done properly.

Joshua

Hide this!Advertise here!