AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 193 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 28th September 2007, 11:31 AM   #1921
reMC is offline reMC  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reMC
Turns out I don't need a LED because the dac works

The weird thing is that it only started to work after I connected pin 16 to +5V... and I have never seen a scheme before in which this was necessary
Old 1st October 2007, 04:26 PM   #1922
arild is offline arild  Norway
diyAudio Member

Been listening to your DAC and LM3875 amp for a few days now they both sound great Peter. I would like to be building a balanced version of your DAC next. what kind of sound improvement can i expect with V-caps in the DAC?
Old 1st October 2007, 04:57 PM   #1923
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Unless the stage after the DAC has very high input impedance (100k or more) you would need to use large coupling caps. With V-Caps, it will cost you a small fortune ($300 or so).

One solution is to use high impedance buffer and 0.1uF caps. A Borberly simple buffer (5 components or so) would be suggested here as it can be build with high impedance input.

As to V-Caps and the overall improvement, it is rather subtle. The V-Caps don't work well with Rikens, you need to switch to Caddocks TF020 ($6 ea). Even then, the improvement is some 10% or so: sound is a bit more transparent and detailed, but you loose some musicality as well.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:28 PM   #1924
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I'd like to put together a 3875 kit, but will need to add a pot for volume control. Searching seemed to indicate a 10k lin is a good value.

I can get a basic Vishay for about £5 /$10, an Alps Blue for about £10 / $20, I also read on an old post that you have some Noble pots.

Are these still available, and will it give much improvement over the Alps?

thanks

Mark
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:31 PM   #1925
reMC is offline reMC  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reMC
Quote:
Originally posted by reMC
The weird thing is that it only started to work after I connected pin 16 to +5V... and I have never seen a scheme before in which this was necessary
Does anyone have a explanation for this (I hope it's OK to ask the question in this topic)?
Old 3rd October 2007, 01:49 PM   #1926
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chunkeymonkey
I'd like to put together a 3875 kit, but will need to add a pot for volume control. Searching seemed to indicate a 10k lin is a good value.

I can get a basic Vishay for about £5 /$10, an Alps Blue for about £10 / $20, I also read on an old post that you have some Noble pots.
Blue Alps supposed to be good, but I never tried them with my amps. I use Nobles, 25K or 50k, depending on availability. Both work fine and I have 50K in stock presently.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:12 PM   #1927
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply Peter, how much are the 50k's. I don't know if Nobles are still made but I saw one over here for about £40 /$80.

It seems odd to spend as much on the pot as the kit.

Do you have any advice on hook up cable, solid cores seem very poular, even network cables. Is there much that can go wrong sonically with stranded, or is it more a case of finding a flavour you like.

Markus
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:25 PM   #1928
diyAudio Member

I would say it's more about the flavour. I like solid core 24ga for signal (I use here gold plated copper). As for PS and speaker connection, Cardas and Kimber, 20ga stranded.

The Nobles are $24 (older production, 34 detented steps)
Old 17th October 2007, 09:23 PM   #1929
diyAudio Member

Default Any thoughts on power cords?

Peter,

What do you use for a power cord on your 3875 amps?

Do you think it matters?

Do you have a favorite recipe for the DIY obsessed?

I am about to try AC power for my sub 500 hz amps and thought I would get your (most valued) opinion.

Thanks,
Old 18th October 2007, 11:53 PM   #1930
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Any thoughts on power cords?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rickmcinnis
[B]Peter,

What do you use for a power cord on your 3875 amps?

I could not help commenting... I am happily running one of Peter's 3875 amps. I was always skeptical about power cords making a difference. Wrong! By accident I replaced a heavier guage computer power cable with a light guage, and the sound really degraded on the amp. Now I thought, what if I had a good power cable.

I built a cable based on Chris VanHaus design..
http://www.venhaus1.com/diymains.html
Wham, amazing improvement on an already great amp. Sound stage became pin point precise and 3d. Base much more extended. I am a believer.

Hide this!Advertise here!