AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 190 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 6th September 2007, 06:05 PM   #1891
diyAudio Member

Is the kit the same thing? Or are there some differences between it and the DAC-1?
Old 6th September 2007, 06:36 PM   #1892
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It's exactly the same.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 6th September 2007, 06:53 PM   #1893
diyAudio Member

Ha! Talk about value.

Peter is the best

I always wondered what portion of your business was for kit builders/diyers. I'm assuming its pretty small ? Two different markets indeed.

Best,
Anand.
Old 7th September 2007, 06:51 AM   #1894
arild is offline arild  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default CS8412

Hi Peter

I am collecting parts for your dac board, i have a hard time finding the CS8412 chip. According to Cirrius the CP8416 is the replacement for the 8412 according to their website however it is a different chip altogether an will not work on your board at all. http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/eo...il/EOL173.html
i found this link below on e-bay it is interesting this guy is excited about the CS8414 chip and says they are directly replacement for the 8412 chip and claims to get better sound , from what i can tell it should work. looks like i will need an soic/dip adapter board the CS8414 chip is smaller than what you use. http://cgi.ebay.com/CS8414-CS8412-TD...QQcmdZViewItem
i can get the CS8414 for $4.50 at http://www.futurlec.com/Others/CS8414.shtml
http://www.logicalsys.com/painfo-vpa...pa-sod6sm18-28
The cost of this adapter board is quite high are there other stores where it is cheaper?

CS8412 chip can it be replacement for the 8414 chip have you tried this in your dac, if so how did it sound?

Ari
Old 7th September 2007, 01:35 PM   #1895
diyAudio Member

My current DAC boards will accept SMD version of both CS8412 and CS8414. I did some comparison of both chips here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...658#post849658

You can buy CS8412 directly from me as well. The sonic differnce with CS8414 is rather small and you may not notice it.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th September 2007, 01:38 PM   #1896
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luvdunhill
you ever heard the bidat's little brother, the Meitner Bitstream, with it's available factory upgrades? I currently have one that's fully upgraded and would be interested in comparing it to your dac, if I get a chance.
I didn't but you can contact John Wright for more specific info. He was very helpful when I was modifying my unit. Some inf was also posted on Audiogon.
Old 8th September 2007, 08:37 AM   #1897
Frode is offline Frode  Norway
diyAudio Member

I've ordered a premium LM3875 kit and have a couple of questions:

1. I'm not going to use a preamp, so I need a pot. What value is preferred?

2. I want to experiment with lower gain, what is the best method to reduce gain?

Frode
Old 8th September 2007, 02:20 PM   #1898
diyAudio Member

You can use 25k or 50k pot.

One way way to reduce gain would be increasing the value of R3 (680R) to 1k5 or so. Also, increasing input series resistor value to 22k will reduce gain by 6dB.
Old 8th September 2007, 06:07 PM   #1899
Frode is offline Frode  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
One way way to reduce gain would be increasing the value of R3 (680R) to 1k5 or so. Also, increasing input series resistor value to 22k will reduce gain by 6dB.
Any pros or cons with the two methods?

Frode
Old 8th September 2007, 06:43 PM   #1900
diyAudio Member

Changing the gain by adjusting R3 may affect sonic signature of the amp. Placing 22k input series resistor (in place of R1=220R ) shouldn't probably have that much effect.

I didn't try any of those methods though, as I'm not using any active preamp and more amp gain was always desired.

Hide this!Advertise here!