AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 179 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 19th May 2007, 01:22 PM   #1781
kmj is offline kmj  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter
Is it possible to buy some of the parts for the DAC from you? Not the entire kit but some of the ICs.

Another thing, I thought that I should use a single 12V transformer which are on sale at my local electronicsshop but I'm not sure about the VA-rating, how low can I go?

Kind regards
Ken
Old 19th May 2007, 02:40 PM   #1782
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Any component is available separately, attached is the parts list for USB DAC.

As to the transformer, 12VA should work fine, however, performance may be better with higher power rating, so use at least 24VA. I'm using 50VA, 2 x 8V.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dac_usb_parts list.txt (499 Bytes, 259 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 19th May 2007, 02:54 PM   #1783
kmj is offline kmj  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Oh, you have two different kinds?

A year or so back I was given a blank board as a kind of "thank you" when I helped out in a group buy. This DAC uses
SN75179
and
CS8412 SMD

It was these parts I was refering to. Does the last reply apply to this to?
Old 19th May 2007, 02:57 PM   #1784
diyAudio Member

That would be SPDIF DAC, as the USB version became available just recently. Attached is parts list for that DAC. The transformer is the same for both versions.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dac_spdif_parts list.txt (537 Bytes, 147 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th May 2007, 06:11 AM   #1785
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
The difference between dual mono and stereo is the number of rectifier boards used in powering the amp. In stereo, both channels are powered from the same board, in dual mono each channel has its own separate board.

While in stereo setups with a single transformer you could still use two separate boards, on more than one occasion I had reports of humming supply so I always recommend using a single rectifier board.

That's also what I'm doing in all my stereo amps and in the picture below I'm showing trouble free way to connect power grounds: output grounds of both channels (OG) are connected with a piece of thick copper wire. Central point on that wire is power star ground and all 4 ground wires from rectifiers board (PG+, PG+ and PG-, PG-) are connected here. Output grounds are taken directly from the board, signal ground connects to the point on the board marked as SG.

Those boards were designed with dual mono operation in mind and as such they work well without any mods.
Click the image to open in full size.

I finished assembling my parallel lm4780 kit a few days ago, and am having a terrible humming problem. When only one channel is hooked up it is nearly completely silent (I can only hear a small noise when my ear is right next to the speaker). When I hook both channels up to the same transformer I get a terrible hum.

I have a few questions on the subject...

1. You said that you recommend only using a single rectifier board, is a single board sufficient to power two parallel 4780's?

2. From what I can see a solution would be to connect all of my ground points like in the quoted post above. Do the PG+/- have to be connected to the amp boards? It does not look like they are in the above picture. Also, is it fine if they ARE connected and I connect all the points to try to solve my humming problem?

Old 25th May 2007, 08:53 PM   #1786
diyAudio Member

Also, can all these points be connected directly to mains ground? It looks like you have a resistor before mains ground...
Old 26th May 2007, 03:06 PM   #1787
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phatcenter77
1. You said that you recommend only using a single rectifier board, is a single board sufficient to power two parallel 4780's?

2. From what I can see a solution would be to connect all of my ground points like in the quoted post above. Do the PG+/- have to be connected to the amp boards? It does not look like they are in the above picture. Also, is it fine if they ARE connected and I connect all the points to try to solve my humming problem?
In most cases a single rectifier board should be sufficient for two parallel LM4780; I've been using such configuration and it worked well. You may check the temp of rectifiers, if they run too hot use some heatsinking (isolation pads are required if diodes are mounted to a common heatsink)

In a pictured exampled, the output grounds of both channels are connected with a thick copper wire and all grounds from rectifiers boards (PG+/PG-) are connected to a central poin there (and they need to be connected).

More info on wiring amp kits has been posted here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...20#post1108820

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...773#post787773

Quote:
Originally posted by phatcenter77
Also, can all these points be connected directly to mains ground? It looks like you have a resistor before mains ground...
Those points are connected directly to the chassis, and they can be also connected directly to mains ground, although I'm using 10R resistor to separate chassis ground from mains ground.
Old 27th May 2007, 04:08 AM   #1788
diyAudio Member

Thanks again!
Old 31st May 2007, 02:32 PM   #1789
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to garage1217 Send a message via Yahoo to garage1217
I cannot recomment Peter higher. I am a noob to this and his emails have been FAST and all my questions answered. Helped me get a nice order going! Thanks man, rare to come across a business that actually gives a crap about there customer during and after payment is made! Cannot wait to get these new toys singing!
Old 31st May 2007, 11:20 PM   #1790
diyAudio Member

Default Kudos

I echo your warm sentiments regarding Peter Daniel. He has an A+++ from me for customer service. I just wish I would take more trips to Toronto so I could meet up with him and listen to his system. A gentleman, audiophile, and colleague.

Anand.

Hide this!Advertise here!