AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 173 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 21st April 2007, 09:24 PM   #1721
orto is offline orto  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter, I'm thinking about copying your patak enclosure design for my lm4780 kit. Would heat be an issue with the higher power output of this chip? Also I noticed that the side pieces seem to be made of solid wood in some pictures, but not in all of them. The other pictures seem to suggest you made an insert of aluminum for the side that covers the caps. Just curious about this, and which way you have decided to go.

Here's the links to the pictures to help clarify.

No aluminum http://www.audiosector.com/images/patek/Patek3.jpg
Insert http://www.audiosector.com/images/patek/Patek11.jpg
Old 21st April 2007, 10:11 PM   #1722
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It's not the insert, it's nickel conductive paint. I only made few amps like that initially, all other amps use dual side panels (Patek v2).

The inside panels are from maple, sprayed with conductive coating; the outside panels are exotic wood, usually Maccasar Ebony.

The chassis can probably dissipate 2 x 5W of continuous power (100Hz sine wave into dummy load). It works well in real live with LM3875 chip, without any overheating issues. If you want to use LM4780 chip for more power, that chassis may be too small.

I'm presently also using bottom panel for heat dissipation, it is attached to copper bar through aluminum block.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st April 2007, 10:14 PM   #1723
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman
What is the total price for the kit then with led display and kit,
Untill I am in position to secure reliable supply of display modules, I won't be offering that circuit as a kit. Presently, only PCBs and control chip are available. If you are able to source all the other parts yourself, you can complete that project.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 26th April 2007, 01:57 AM   #1724
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Peter, at this time what are you curenly using for a pre-amp ? is it passive or buffer ?

I'm currently using one of Brent's buffer with my Aleph's. I'm impressed, but wondering what you use ?
Old 27th April 2007, 05:09 AM   #1725
diyAudio Member

I was using all sort of different pieces, but eventually I'm coming back to TVC: it is my current opinion that it is the most neutral line stage. The gain is limited to 6dB only, so it's not really completely passive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p22.jpg (52.3 KB, 1944 views)
Old 27th April 2007, 05:12 AM   #1726
diyAudio Member

BTW, I received the USB DAC boards today. I will be building one tomorrow to see if everything works fine.
Old 27th April 2007, 05:15 AM   #1727
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
BTW, I received the USB DAC boards today. I will be building one tomorrow to see if everything works fine.
Ahhhh....thats what I've been waiting for! Let us know how it goes.
Robert
Old 27th April 2007, 06:27 AM   #1728
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I was using all sort of different pieces, but eventually I'm coming back to TVC: it is my current opinion that it is the most neutral line stage. The gain is limited to 6dB only, so it's not really completely passive.

Very nice, of course out of my price range i'm running passive and Brent's buffer. i'm loving the passive with the nice alps pot i have, i'm curious to see if i get the same results with your relay based one.
Old 27th April 2007, 03:23 PM   #1729
diyAudio Member

The boards came out really nice this time:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nos.jpg (97.1 KB, 2733 views)
Old 27th April 2007, 11:45 PM   #1730
diyAudio Member

The circuit has been tested and it works fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usb1.jpg (90.4 KB, 8056 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!