Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Picture.

http://news.thomasnet.com/images/large/016/16654.jpg
Old 4th April 2007, 06:46 PM   #1672
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a2.jpg (47.5 KB, 1662 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th April 2007, 06:48 PM   #1673
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman
Part # is C-51505 Optrex.
I had them in a CD-Pro and didn't like them at all because of poor visibility. I'm looking for vfd like in this picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a8.jpg (94.8 KB, 1670 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th April 2007, 06:50 PM   #1674
diyAudio Member

The two Dale resistors you see here, are to provide -47db, -52db and -58 db steps (in addition to regular steps with use of Vishays)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a7.jpg (98.8 KB, 1572 views)
Old 4th April 2007, 06:53 PM   #1675
diyAudio Member

The optical encoder used to control the volume is from HP, the same as in Levinson 380 preamp. With a large knob it is extremely smooth with great "feel".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a10.jpg (74.8 KB, 1542 views)
Old 5th April 2007, 02:48 AM   #1676
diyAudio Member

Default Stereomojo amp shootout

Quote:
My objective is not to hightlight the negatives of your product but to ask you why this might be. I find one possible explanation would be equipment partnership. The comment which is of particular interests is bass boomy and sound forward, my experience being that these qualities can be tweaked to be less prominent in light of equipment compatibility. You may like to advise us what needs to be done if we experienced the same situation.

Peter,

Your response did not answer my question on any tweaking(s) required, eg power supply, etc...

Does that mean I don't need to with Gainclone?

Every system is different, some tweaking is necessary in variety parts of the equipment maybe it be CD player, DAC or speakers and also applicable to amplifier.

If you don't believe tweaking so then we may have agree to disagree.

As you have alluded to in a previous post, amp shootouts such as the one just held, although done in a reasonably controlled way only tells you about how that amp performed with those particular speakers, preamp, source, room and to those respective listeners on that particular day. Pick another day, a different set of musical genres and you could have a different set of results. The conclusions on the whole were actually quite close, so none of the amps sounded 'bad.' There is not much to be taken from shootouts in general except for some good publicity for those respective manufacturers. I would implore you to take it with a huge grain of salt. At the end of the day, it all depends on how it sounds again, in your particular system . As for tweaking, Peter's take on the gainclone, imho is already tweaked (Peter has really, redefined tweaking for me. I just leave the unit alone since it sounds so refined!). There is really not much else to do, except for fooling around with snubbers and perhaps the capacitors specifically on the amp board itself. BG STD 1000uf vs. BG NX 100 uf vs. etc...you could like one set with classical but hate it with rock. Too many variables, too many choices. Tweaking for the sake of tweaking can be educational but can be frustrating as well. If it sounds good, leave it alone, especially since you might be tweaking while the amp is not even broken in yet!

To put it another way, I wouldn't take the comments mentioned by a few select souls in an amp shootout to indicate by any stretch of the imagination that the Audiosector amp has 'boomy sounding bass.' If I hooked up a 3 watt SET to an Apogee Stage or Thiel (both usually less than 86 dB/1w/1m and crazy impedance loads) I might have similar results.

I think its just cool that 14 amps got some PR and now we know they exist. That's it.

My $.02,

Anand.
Old 5th April 2007, 02:51 AM   #1677
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

I had them in a CD-Pro and didn't like them at all because of poor visibility. I'm looking for vfd like in this picture:

looks great when you source out the proper vfd ill take two relay boards and a control board.

cheers

Old 6th April 2007, 02:19 AM   #1678
DeanP is offline DeanP  Canada
diyAudio Member

Peter,
Quick question, how wide is the lm4780 amp board?
Old 6th April 2007, 08:54 PM   #1679
rnzr is offline rnzr  Estonia
diyAudio Member

hi mates,
is 3A fuse enough for my gainclone if i have dual-mono deisign (LM3875) and two toroidals (each 2x21V 225VA)?
and which one should i buy - slow or fast fuse?
i live in europe (220V).

thanks
r.
Old 6th April 2007, 09:21 PM   #1680
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeanP
Peter,
Quick question, how wide is the lm4780 amp board?
The amp board is 2.9 x 1.4 ; rectifier board is 2.9 x 1.2"

Quote:
Originally posted by rnzr

is 3A fuse enough for my gainclone if i have dual-mono deisign (LM3875) and two toroidals (each 2x21V 225VA)?
and which one should i buy - slow or fast fuse?
i live in europe (220V).
You need slow blow fuse and 3 A is enough for each toroid. If you use one fuse for two toroids, it may work too, and if it blows, just use higher value.

Hide this!Advertise here!