AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 155 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 2nd February 2007, 06:46 AM   #1541
dake13 is offline dake13  United States
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Help w/3875 power supply

This is embarrassing... Peter, I ordered one of your kits quite a while ago to build for a friend (last summer?). Turned out the kit ended up being for me, but one thing led to another and I've never finished it...

This is the premium LM3875 kit, which I was trying to put together as a dual mono amp, passive volume and chipamp in one chassis, and two separate chassis for each channel's power supply. Also, the main thing that was giving me trouble was, I'm trying to wire it up with a DPDT switch to switch from 120V to 230V mains. The trannie I'm using is:

http://www.plitron.com/shopping/specs/0770XX201.pdf

300VA with 24V secondaries.

So I thought I knew how to wire it together, and I plugged everything in, and 'POOF!' The fuse blew and there was a loud sound from the speaker (I only wired it up for one channel). I hope I didn't do any damage to the amp.

I've come to the conclusion, that even though I've done a little diy'ing, I'm out of my depth here... the instructions don't cover what I'm trying to build. (If worse comes to worst, I could ditch the DPDT switch).

Could one of you kind souls take a look at this little diagram and tell me what hooks up to what? I need some remedial help here.
It may just be the DPDT switch. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chipamp ps feb 07.jpg (18.2 KB, 1061 views)
Old 2nd February 2007, 01:34 PM   #1542
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Unless you plan to use transformer with 230V I would not recommend any DPDT switch on primaries. Here's the link to Plitron connection diagram : http://www.plitron.com/standard_schematics.asp
All the other info you will find here: Daniel LM3875 Assembly Help

Before connecting amp to PS check for correct voltages first, before connecting speakers to the amp, check for DC offset (it should be below 100mV on speaker terminals)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd February 2007, 02:10 PM   #1543
RKH is offline RKH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default dual RCAs in DAC

Hi Peter,

Do you know if these Vampire pcb mount dual RCAs fit your DAC boards (w/o mods that is)?

http://vampirewire.com/mcart/index.c...3&page=2&cat=5

(Towards the bottom of the page)

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 2nd February 2007, 02:22 PM   #1544
diyAudio Member

The first dual RCAs on a page (Part #PC2V ) will fit the Green board. The gold board accepts only Cardas dual connectors. You can also make them yourself:

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd February 2007, 02:59 PM   #1545
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Peter, the king of fabrication

Hey, is that digi volume control remote controlled as well?
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 2nd February 2007, 03:07 PM   #1546
diyAudio Member

Yes, it works with RC5 coded remotes (Philips, Daewoo, LG).
Old 2nd February 2007, 03:39 PM   #1547
diyAudio Member

Peter,

just to say that i'm wainting for your phonostage

Next month i'll probably buy your DAC.
Old 2nd February 2007, 03:47 PM   #1548
diyAudio Member

I'm actually working hard with phonostages. I started with a phono section based on VSPS (RIAA circuit only with all the rest changed and OPA627 used) and it worked surprisingly good. The step up was done by S&B TX103 (for Shelter 901)

If there is an interest, I can post detailed schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tt.jpg (97.6 KB, 1056 views)
Old 2nd February 2007, 03:50 PM   #1549
diyAudio Member

The second circuit I tried was ONO. I used what I thought the best parts and because I couldn't decide which version of PS to choose I run it from batteries. But I was not blow away after switching from OPA627 circuit, in some ways I think the other one was smoother. I may have overdone with all those Premium part in ONO ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o.jpg (96.9 KB, 1185 views)
Old 2nd February 2007, 03:52 PM   #1550
diyAudio Member

I still need to build EAT834 and Jadis JP-80.

After I try them all, I should know which direction to go.

The phono preamp is positioned right beside the arm to minimize all the connections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on.jpg (99.6 KB, 1052 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!