AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 154 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 1st February 2007, 12:14 PM   #1531
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

A question on the DAC Peter. Is it normal to have a few volts of DC on the RCA output? This was only measured without any connections attached.

The reason I ask is, mine has always been set up as a single source and but now has a Elma for source switching. I'm getting popping during source changes only with the DAC...... all other sources clean. There's no problems with the sound as it's fantastic.
Old 1st February 2007, 02:54 PM   #1532
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The original design did not have resistors to ground after output coupling caps. So if you measure offset without load connected, you will see some offset. As soon as the DAC connects to a next stage, the offset disappears. This may create some popping when switching sources (depending how the preamp source selection is configured).

I still don't supply those resistors with a kit, as the DAC sounds better without them, however, with a new boards, I made space for them, and if needed, they can be installed (R11/R12 in a picture, 50k or so value)

Click the image to open in full size.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 1st February 2007, 03:31 PM   #1533
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Many thanks for the info Peter.
Old 2nd February 2007, 12:18 AM   #1534
diyAudio Member

This question seems ridiculous even to me, so I'm sorry in advance. I'm interested in a DIY DAC kit. Peter, it seems you have one available. Where are the details? I don't see any information on www.audiosector.com . Again, sorry if this is ridiculous.
Old 2nd February 2007, 12:28 AM   #1535
diyAudio Member

The DAC is actually mentioned on my site, in May 2005 Latest News. I don't advertise it though, as such kit would be in direct competition with my commercial product, that has been recently reviewed here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/a...e5/system.html

So, all marketing of the DAC kit is based on this thread and a word of mouth of happy customers.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd February 2007, 01:05 AM   #1536
diyAudio Member

Peter:

Is it still possible to purchase a "regular" kit with both RCA and optical inputs? As I understand it this would include everything with the exception of the transformer?

This project is exactly what I'm looking for thanks very much for making it available to the DIY community. I read the review of your commercial products, very cool that you've been able to make the leap into producing your own commercial electronics. I'm sure thats very satisfying, good luck with it.
Old 2nd February 2007, 01:20 AM   #1537
diyAudio Member

Yes, the regular kit is also available. I can supply optical input as well, with a schematic how to connect it. All you would need is transformer (and toggle switch for input choosing)
Old 2nd February 2007, 01:28 AM   #1538
diyAudio Member

Whats the damage ($) with shipping to USA zip code 29201?
Old 2nd February 2007, 01:38 AM   #1539
diyAudio Member

The regular kit is $100, Toslink $10, shipping $11
Old 2nd February 2007, 01:52 AM   #1540
diyAudio Member

Cool, great pricing. This includes the DIP version of the DAC? No SMD soldering right? How do you accept payment?

Side questions:

* Has anyone modified this to use an external clock? As I understand it there is a way to "slave" a clocked device over S/PDIF by providing your own clock within the DAC?

* Did the USB interface for this ever become available? If so, how much extra? Can it be switched along w/ the RCA and TOSLINK?

Hide this!Advertise here!