Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 5th January 2007, 07:13 PM   #1511
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It is 901. Do you have any experience with VTA and tracking force?

I still have Maplenoll Ariadne to modify and expect it to be even better than Oracle; as to Oracle, I never liked the original design and I simply had to do some changes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg or2.jpg (83.8 KB, 1273 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 5th January 2007, 07:15 PM   #1512
diyAudio Member

The base uses the original acrylic plate, 3/4 aluminum and two 0.25 brass plates. The original control box was also nicely integrated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg or1.jpg (77.6 KB, 1275 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 5th January 2007, 11:53 PM   #1513
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
It is 901. Do you have any experience with VTA and tracking force?
I find I'm around 1.95g on tracking force. VTA, (actually SRA), varies per disc, but I find starting with the base of the cart parallel to the record is close, then it's by ear.

-RT
Old 12th January 2007, 02:07 AM   #1514
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a question about heat sinking. I am building up 3875 kit. Actually it has been up and running for about a year and is now facing being enclosed. I found amongst my pile of scraps and parts a piece of 6" OD 1" wall pipe. The steel is really low grade, (sparks and flaming chips when it is cut) but it does clean up nice. So, I was wondering if I will have sufficient heat sinking if I mount the chips to a piece of .375" plate that is press fit into a 6" OD 1" wall 5" tall piece of pipe. Initially I was only going to house the power supply in the pipe, but I have realized that I have room for all of it. I will probably shield the transformer with some copper foil I have kicking around. Here is a pic of the parts and pipe.

Thanks

DaveM
Old 12th January 2007, 05:13 PM   #1515
diyAudio Member

Pic did not post. Try, try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3875 enclosure.jpg (59.9 KB, 1064 views)
Old 12th January 2007, 05:59 PM   #1516
diyAudio Member

It will probably work, but thermal release efficiency will be compromised by steel as a material, and also by substantial mass of the whole thing. Depending on how much you will be pushing the amps (volume and load), it may get only slightly warm, or may reach 40-50 deg and stay there. I was using brass rod to mount the chip (2" dia , 8" long and it was acting as heat tank, storing thermal energy, but not releasing)

Since you have it already made, it's worth trying anyway.
Old 12th January 2007, 06:28 PM   #1517
diyAudio Member

I have some brass bar stock sitting around as well. I think I will add a piece of brass to the top cover and mount the chips to the brass. At least this way the heat transfer to the brass is pretty good and the thermal contact area to the steel will be vastly larger than the chip surface. It can't do anything but help.

Thanks for the insight.

DaveM
Old 12th January 2007, 10:02 PM   #1518
diyAudio Member

You can find the numbers here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...les/thrcn.html

Copper would be best.
Old 14th January 2007, 12:48 PM   #1519
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

It also critically depends on your supply voltage. A supply below +-30V will heat up the chips significantly less than e.g. 35 or 40V.

Mick
Old 14th January 2007, 03:48 PM   #1520
diyAudio Member

Looking a bit closer at that chart, I will be better off using aluminum with a good bit of thermal paste between the steel and aluminum to prevent issues with the dissimilar metals. I always thought that brass was a better conductor than aluminum. That was defiantly a misconception.

Thanks

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!