• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been skimming this sight in preperation for building my first gainclone, a 3875 Just a few quick questions. Will be running it with Fostex FE 206 en, most likely enabled, in a Martin King style transmission line.

1. Can I use a 1500uf 35V Panasonic FM or a 1000uf 50V FM?
2. Any thoughts on Mundorf 4 Pole Mylitics?
3. Does the amp benfit from power supply regulation?

Thanks for all the info on this site,
Jgwtriode

Thanks Peter:

Are your Universal Power Supply Boards still available? If not I will improvise. I want to do the Mundorf Myltic 4 pole caps. 1000uf snap in's. They are rated 160 Volts. Then on the amp boards I will either use 100uf/50V Panasonic FM or Panasonic Pureism. I'd go BG N or std but they are too hard to find although sonic craft has some...but very pricey. If i may inquire what are the dimensions of your bronze heat sink. I will be ordering as soon as I know about the boards hopefully tommorrow. If they are available how do I order them, since they are not on your site currently? Any thoughts on cotton insulated 7N silver wire. I have been looking at VH Audio's site and am thinking about this for internal wiring and to follow their DIY Interconnect recipe.

Thanks for all your efforts
jgwtriode

Attachments

• PS.jpg
    PS.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 649
What's your opinion on solder? I am familiar with Cardas Eutectic, which is very nice to work with. Have also used WBT when I was working at Kimber Kable and have also used the older lead based Wonder solder. A good friend of mine who designs the Escalante Loudspeakers has always recommended Multicore brand solder which he prefers to all the exotics.

Thanks,
jgwtriode

Hi Peter,

My apology for long time delay in continuing the NOS DAC. And sorry for repeat my question with updated measurement.

Following the QA session about the faulty of my DAC (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audi...ip-amp-kits-dacs-chassis-281.html#post2606022), I asked my friend to verify the digital output of my CDP. Then used scope to measure:
- the digital signal output of CDP: I can detect square (not perfect) waves when press Play.
- signal input of SN75179, between pin 4 and 8: the signal is almost the same as what I get from CDP's digital out
- signal output of SN75179 to CS8412's RXP and RXN: I can only see negative level on RXN and positive level on RXP, no wave.
- signal on pin 1,2,3 of TDA1543: square waves can be seen at 1 (BCK), 2 (WS) but no signal at 3 (DATA). The scope screen shows : "wait for trigger ..." whenever I touch the scope's tip to pin 3.
+ I checked the voltage at CS8412 pin 28, still get ~5V when I press "Play" , which means the CS unable to "lock" incoming signal (I learned this from here: All you ever need to know about DAC kits).
+ I also used the scope to compute the frequency at TDA1543 pin 2: not 44.1kHz (I also learned this technique from above page)

I checked the voltage at 4 ANs and at the outputs of TDA1543. Values are very close (same) as what you indicated in the DAC schema.

What is the problem here?
Would any of the receiver chip CS8412? or TDA1543 or SN17975? Or other component die?
What could you suggest me to do?

Many Thanks
Regards,
HT

Peter:

I found some plitrons on sale . They are 300 VA with 24V secondaries Any problems with using those for my 3875?

jgwtriode

Hi jgwtriode,
For your reference, I am using Nuvotem Transformer,toroidal,300VA,0-230V pri,50/60Hz,2x0-25V sec bought from RS without any problem.
IMO, sec from 22-25V would fit your need perfectly. You may find Peter's comment with detail here (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audi...chip-amp-kits-dacs-chassis-77.html#post841598) upto this (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audi...chip-amp-kits-dacs-chassis-78.html#post842314)

HT

Last edited:
Thanks so much that was extremely informative. This is kind of a new direction for me.

For a couple of years I tinkered with meshplate 2A3's from bottlehead with magnequest cobalts output trafos on Talon khorus that werwe tweaked a bit. I worked for Talon for a while in sales. I don't have the access or money to do this hobby the way I used too.
It was Srjaen Ebaen's review of the patek that got me interested in gainclones. His tastes are very similar to mine so here goes.

I am going to be running these amps directly from a buffalo dac into transmision line loaded Fostex FE 206EN in a John Swenson bazooka enclosure.

Thanks for the refrences and any other suggestions you might have.

jgwtriode

Trouble shooting DAC problems

Hi

I've finally finished assembling the NOS DAC and am waiting on the Hammond transformer to start her up. Unfortunately the transformer will be a couple of weeks away so I decided to use what I've got in the meantime to see if it works.

These are two multi-tapped transformers (using two as I read it's good to keep analogue and digital on separate windings). The transformers didn't have the correct V output taps so the DAC is connected to the 15V and 24V windings on one to give me 9Vac (for the AN8009) and between 24V and 30V on the other transformer to give me 6Vac (for the AN8005). I think this is OK to do this.

I connected it to the mains using the bulb tester - no bright light from the tester indicating problems but I did notice the bulb was faintly glowing but thought this was OK.
I removed the bulb tester and connected directly to the mains and measured voltages across R1,R2 and across R3,R4 to make sure my transformer connections were correct. Voltage across R1,R2 (feeding AN8008) was good at 9.82Vdc but the problem is with the voltage across R3,R4 (feeding the AN8005's) which is only measuring 3.3Vdc.

Doing some testing, I decided to take the AN8005 regulators out of the circuit: I un-soldered one end of both 20R dales (R3,R4) and measured the voltage - this was 8.4Vdc (unloaded) which is OK. I still wasn't sure whether my method of getting the desired voltage between taps was correct so I disconnected the wires from the DAC at the transformer and soldered a 10R (10W) resistor directly across the transformer windings and measured 6.5Vac across the resistor so I proved the transformer OK.

I've checked the components - they all seem to be correctly placed and can't see any shorts etc on the cct board, so not sure what is causing this low reading, but I'm presuming the 3.3Vdc is caused by a higher than normal current draw somewhere dragging down the voltage.
This would be the causing the bulb testers to glow faintly when first testing, but shouldn't I be seeing something getting hot or smoke if the current is high enough to drag the voltage this low or am I totally off the mark in understanding what's happening?

I haven't connected up the DAC to my stereo as I don't want to keep it connected to the mains, fearing damage.
Should I be trying to isolate the problem by disconnecting each of the 8005's in turn to find the problem? Can I do further voltage measurements (at the chips) with the bulb tester in place or do I have to remove the bulb tester to get accurate voltage readings?

I have attached a couple of photo's just in case anyone can see any problems. Sorry for the long-winded explanation above - appreciate any help given!:D

cheers

Attachments

• Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 899
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 874
What is the mains voltage before and after the bulb tester?
That will give a clue to whether the "system" is affected by low supply voltage.

That very low secondary voltage indicates high current flow.
What current do you expect here?
Add in a series resistor that you expect would drop 1V across it.
Now read off the actual volts drop to compare expected current to actual current.

There seems to be a problem, these checks should confirm one way or the other.

Thanks Andrew,

In post #68 of this thread, Peter wrote:
"For the DAC.....the current draw can be calculated: I have series 20R resistors on both rail and ground feed for each section (4 total ). With DAC the drop is 1.14V and for receiver it is 0.95V"

The voltage drop across my 20R resistor (at R3 to receiver) is 1.38Vdc. I also inserted am ammeter at R3 and measured the current draw at 68mA but (if I've calculated correctly) from Peter's post above the current draw should be only 48mA, so mine is drawing around 20mA more.
I still don't get why I'm only getting 3.3Vdc across R3 and R4 - it shouldn't work at this voltage but...the good news is that I connected the DAC up to my computer speakers and it worked!:)
I then connected it to my stereo and it sounds very good indeed so I'm happy, but would still like to know what is causing the higher than normal current draw and whether it may cause any future problems.

The circuit schematic attached file can be foumd here at post #165
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/51381-audiosector-chip-amp-kits-dacs-chassis-4.html#post609968

What is the mains voltage before and after the bulb tester?
That will give a clue to whether the "system" is affected by low supply voltage.

That very low secondary voltage indicates high current flow.
What current do you expect here?
Add in a series resistor that you expect would drop 1V across it.
Now read off the actual volts drop to compare expected current to actual current.

There seems to be a problem, these checks should confirm one way or the other.

transformer for AudioSector nos dac

hi,
recently i bought a second hand dac without transformer..
while i was searching for a r-core transformer on the net i remembered that i have this transformer in my parts bin.. is it suitable for the dac or should i look a r-core?
thanks..

Attachments

• P1010787.JPG
    P1010787.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 628
Peter, looking to your 4780 kit I noticed that it was build for balanced input. Why did you choose this configuration instead of going by the "normal" unbalanced topology as described in the TI data sheet. I liked the idea of double power in my 8Ohm load, but since all sources I have are unbalanced, as I would guess many people have, I was just wondering how this particular configuration was choosen.

Regards, Stefan

Yes, that would be correct connection.

Peter, looking to your 4780 kit I noticed that it was build for balanced input. Why did you choose this configuration instead of going by the "normal" unbalanced topology as described in the TI data sheet. I liked the idea of double power in my 8Ohm load, but since all sources I have are unbalanced, as I would guess many people have, I was just wondering how this particular configuration was choosen.

Regards, Stefan

The LM4780 kit is not specifically built for balanced setup. It can be used any other way as described here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audi...chip-amp-kits-dacs-chassis-13.html#post636565

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.