Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 5th August 2006, 04:55 PM   #1371
hayenc is offline hayenc  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hayenc
They sell both.

http://www.monarchyaudio.com/

Peter, I hope we are not highjacking your thread too much. Given all the problems listed elsewhere with the 8420 chip used in the Monarchy box, I would be a bit leary right now.
Old 5th August 2006, 08:12 PM   #1372
GHM is offline GHM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello,
As pointed out above Monarchy sells the Classic and the 48/96 units. The 24/96 was the first upsampler to be manufactured. The 48/96 DIP is the newest version. I can't tell you why it sounds better ..it just does.
I don't mean slightly better either...I mean by a wide margin.

I sure haven't heard any problems from either unit I tried. You would truly have to be deaf not to hear the difference.

Bound for Sound did a review on the 48/96 unit. It explains how it works better than I can.

The differences I hear with each unit goes as follows. The Classic or 44.1 16 bit unit gives you more of a razor sharp image. The cymbals sound a tad bit harder. The bass seems to be pronounced more with the one I had.

The 48/96 24 bit run in 48khz upsampling of course gives a wider stage. There's more texture around instruments and the soundstage is slightly deeper than the Classic. I could live with either one. It just depends on what else you're using with the unit and the AS DAC.

I wouldn't dispel it until you try it. You'll soon hear what you've been missing. There's a clergy between these units and the AS DAC..I have no idea why..I just know I haven't heard anything quite like it for even remotely close to the combined price. If you can find a used one around $100 or so it is well worth it.

I know this unit combined the Burson HDAM buffer put my AS DAC in the Class with the $3500 Modified Electrocompaniet ECD-1 that I spent several weeks auditioning right here at home.. It's so close in sound to the ECD-1 now, I couldn't see spending the money on it... even if I could afford it.

I found the ECD-1 warmer and the AS DAC more neutral. The ECD-1 throws a slightly larger soundstage. But not large enough for me to pay the price for it. The AS DAC has slightly better resolution on string instruments and vocals. So it makes up some ground in other areas.

Hopefully this isn't looked upon as a hijack. As I only want others to hear just how good this DAC truly is.
Old 14th August 2006, 03:07 PM   #1373
diyAudio Member

Default Buffers

Peter,

Are your buffers available yet?

Robert
Old 14th August 2006, 03:48 PM   #1374
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Buffers

Quote:
Originally posted by GHM
Hopefully this isn't looked upon as a hijack. As I only want others to hear just how good this DAC truly is.
Not at all. I'm glad it works out as you describe. The potential of that DAC is tremendous and in the right environment it can compete with the best ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by rjkdivin

Are your buffers available yet?
The buffer kits have been available for a while now, sold directly only, not mentioned on a website yet.

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.audiostereo.pl/zalaczniki/428550_3.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ml_buffer.pdf (42.3 KB, 194 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 14th August 2006, 06:34 PM   #1375
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Upsampling from 44.1kHz to 48kHz is hardly a good idea: Interpolation is a tricky thing and good sample rate changers (studio equipment), which do not alter the sound, are rare and expensive. Upsampling to double or four times the sample rate is easier and makes probably more sense.
Old 14th August 2006, 10:02 PM   #1376
GHM is offline GHM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lohk
Upsampling from 44.1kHz to 48kHz is hardly a good idea: Interpolation is a tricky thing and good sample rate changers (studio equipment), which do not alter the sound, are rare and expensive. Upsampling to double or four times the sample rate is easier and makes probably more sense.

It may hardly be a good idea. But one must try it first and find out for one's self whether it's worth it or not.

I have another friend that has the GW Labs unit and the AS DAC. I'm waiting until he has a chance to test the GW labs and my Monarchy to see if there's much of a difference in his system. He's also having some impedance issues with his AS DAC and the Django passive volume control. So I sent my buffer along for the ride. Hopefully by Friday I'll know the results.

You are starting to remind me of the people back before Christopher Columbus's voyage that said the earth was flat. How can you constantly dispel something if you never try it?
Old 14th August 2006, 10:14 PM   #1377
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Buffers

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

The buffer kits have been available for a while now, sold directly only, not mentioned on a website yet.

http://www.audiostereo.pl/zalaczniki/428550_3.jpg
So it has!!! I bought a stereo pair from you some time ago but had forgotten (I'm behind in my projects). I would like to get another pair....is the price still the same?
Robert
Old 14th August 2006, 10:48 PM   #1378
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Yes, it's still the same.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 14th August 2006, 10:56 PM   #1379
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
Yes, it's still the same.

I'm looking for a price!
Old 14th August 2006, 10:57 PM   #1380
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Let me put that clear: Upsampling from 44.1 to 48kHz mostly sounds worse, very rarely as good as before but never better! What an idea!
No, I believe you, but the Monarchy must do some kind of jitter correction or reclocking, upsampling probably only by two. Otherwise it may sound different - but not better. Never, as a matter of principle.

Hide this!Advertise here!