AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis - Page 137 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 2nd August 2006, 05:22 PM   #1361
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by lohk
The review mentioned that the amp is internally hardwired: Peter, did you do that yourself (what a work!) and why no PCB?
Only AMP-1 is hardwired. Monoblocks use gold plated PCBs mounted vertically between input and output connectors.

The early version of AMP-1 below:

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd August 2006, 06:09 PM   #1362
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to safetyman Send a message via MSN to safetyman Send a message via Yahoo to safetyman
Peter, I have a LM3875 PCB from you and was wondering if I can use a Caddock MK132 20k ohm instead of the recommended 22k as I can't seem to be able to get the 22k values?

An guidance will be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 3rd August 2006, 06:21 PM   #1363
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
All resistor values are not critical: 20K will work fine.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd August 2006, 08:14 PM   #1364
diyAudio Member

I found this review of a year ago of the Pre-T1 and I personally think it is makes things more clear to me than the review in Hifi+...

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/a...4/pretone.html

And what a beautiful photo's !
Old 4th August 2006, 06:51 PM   #1365
GHM is offline GHM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Sector Dac used with an Upsampling DIP

Hello anyone tried this..using the AS DAC with a Upsampler ..like the Monarchy or GW labs?

If not ..you should try it and be flabbergasted at the difference it makes.

I've always enjoyed my AS DAC. Recently I had a chance to try out a Modified Electrocompanient ECD-1. It basically crushed my little AS Dac on all fronts. I was quite dissapointed!

It should have ..it cost at least 10 times as much as I paid for my little AS unit.

I wasn't ready to give up on the little Dac just yet. So I started looking around to see if I could solve some of the differences I heard between it and the ECD-1.

I figured some of what I heard must be the deficiency of my transport. But at the same time this is the same transport I used with the ECD-1. !! Then I remembered looking over the mods for the ECD-1. The modder mentions adding a Superclock 2 to the unit and increasing the signal strength to the Dac itself.

So my thinking was to add something with a more precise clock output and maybe a signal booster. I first purchased the basic Monarchy DIP that doesn't upsample. The improvements was profound!! I couldn't believe this is the same Dac with just a better signal..simply amazing!!

After reading over some reviews I had the itch to try the Upsampling Monarchy with the AS Dac.. Again big improvement. More air, space around instruments. It has a resolution I've only experienced with the Modified ECD-1. It makes every other front end I've owned sound blurred. The tonality of different instruments and their overtones show themselves now more than ever.

Anyone using this Dac with a basic DVD player or CD player..really needs to try this and hear for yourself. I still can't understand why a NON OS DAC sounds so damn good plugged into a upsampling processor.

Can anyone explain too me ...what's going on here?
Old 5th August 2006, 12:30 AM   #1366
r8833 is online now r8833  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello anyone tried this..using the AS DAC with a Upsampler ..like the Monarchy or GW labs?

I am using a Monarchy DIP with my AS DAC and it sounds amazing

Rich
Old 5th August 2006, 02:32 AM   #1367
GHM is offline GHM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by r8833

I am using a Monarchy DIP with my AS DAC and it sounds amazing

Rich

Thanks Rich for the reply. Glad to see there's another person trying this out. I had no idea this Dac was capable of what I hear from it now. It also made me rethink my speakers. I thought they might naturally roll of a bit or be less resolving. When in reality it was the source that was clouding the sound all of this time.
If you get a chance try the 48/96 upsampler with the AS Dac..you'll be impressed once again.

Good listening
Old 5th August 2006, 01:37 PM   #1368
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Can you explain how a 44.1/48kHz only DAC shall work with an upsampler? I must upsample and downsample again - I wonder what for. The only reasonable application seems to me some reclocking, "signal conditioning" or something like that.
Old 5th August 2006, 01:41 PM   #1369
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

I searched the Net: The Monarchy DIP is a digital signal conditioner, not an upsampler. Clear about that.
Old 5th August 2006, 03:07 PM   #1370
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/339/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg msbdip.jpg (26.1 KB, 956 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!