• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One more photo

Just another view. The Pre and tube amp are also mounted, exposed on solid cherry. I think they look pretty sweet together. But I'm a little biased.

Cheers,
Ryan

Attachments

• dscn0019.jpg
    dscn0019.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,308
Thanks Peter, for the compliment, but mostly for the great piece of equipment. I have only a few hours of use on everything, but I'm enjoying it more and more as I listen. For now, this system is in my office. My wife complains that I spend too much time there as it is. That is going to get worse now that I have this system up and running.

Cheers,

Ryan

If that is the GIGABYTE board ...

how do you connect the 12 volts four pin connector (whose proper name has eluded me)?

It looks completely blocked.

I have been using one of the large THERMALRIGHT heat sinks with sorbothane squeezed in between the fins. I like the idea of what you are doing I just do not see how it can work with an G31 board and a e7200.

Did you get MINLOGON installed?

Bye,

That was Biostar Mobo and 4 pin connector is just right to the bottom corner of the heatsink. I just checked Gigabyte board and it would work fine too, as the heatsink is not that big.

Another option would be soldering power cables directly on a bottom from one connecotr to the other and I might do it anyway to reduce cable mess.

Didn't do Minlogon yet, too busy with F5 ;)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: If that is the GIGABYTE board ...

Originally posted by rickmcinnis <SNIP>
I have been using one of the large THERMALRIGHT heat sinks with sorbothane squeezed in between the fins. I like the idea of what you are doing I just do not see how it can work with an G31 board and a e7200.<SNIP>

Rick, can you say more about how large and how many pieces of sorbothane you used... and the sonic differences?

I'd considered doing the same thing when I put the same sink on my CPU this weekend and would love to have a starting point.

Peter, apologies for hijacking this thread a tiny bit.

Greg in Mississippi

Sorbothane

I bought from Michael Percy over ten years ago these huge pieces of sorbothane for damping the walls of loudspeaker enclosures.

I never used it for that. Instead I have steadily whittled away at the stuff using it for damping just about everything BUT loudspeaker cabinets.

I do not know if it is still available. Something similar I am sure is.

Just slice pieces large enough to squeeze between the fins. I did not go crazy with this. The fins are unobstructed. The damping at the top where the most flexibility "is".

If I was as adept as Peter with metalwork I would much prefer a heavier finned sink MADE OF COPPER!!!. Peter, would you consider making some of these?

Your soldering skills are infinitely superior to mine but nonetheless I think you should think at least twice about soldering on the motherboard. If you do this successfully I will be horribly jealous, again, of your talents.

You are missing out by delaying your implementation of MINLOGON, though my self-interest is grateful for your work with the F5.

What do you think of using carbon composition resistors to warm up the amplifier? I am going to give it a try though I know I need to do some matching.

Thanks,

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Sorbothane

rickmcinnis said:
I bought from Michael Percy over ten years ago these huge pieces of sorbothane for damping the walls of loudspeaker enclosures.

I never used it for that. Instead I have steadily whittled away at the stuff using it for damping just about everything BUT loudspeaker cabinets.

I do not know if it is still available. Something similar I am sure is.

Just slice pieces large enough to squeeze between the fins. I did not go crazy with this. The fins are unobstructed. The damping at the top where the most flexibility "is".

Ok. I have a small stash of sorbothane left too... forget what I bought it for, I got it from McMasters-Carr and they still list it:

McMasters-Carr Sorbothane

I tried it as tube dampers for awhile, but it melted. I then got into Navcom which I thought worked better, but it hardened. Now I like the tube dampers from Herbie and the automotive damping materials (Dynamat) and the 3M stuff from Michael Percy for damping parts, cases, heatsinks, and the like.

My last mass-sorbothaning was building up an outboard crossover using the giant Northcreek Zen Polyprop caps... wrapped each cap with s-thane to ensure it wasn't vibrating.

I'll probably use thin strips of the Dynamat Xtreme... it has a putty-like backing and that should sink in-between the fins a bit. As far as I can tell, the sink does not get hot enough to cause a problem with that material... I'm only getting 30 C for CPU temps.

Then I can save the s-thane for the next crossover build.

Did you notice a lot of difference when you added the sorbothane?

If I was as adept as Peter with metalwork I would much prefer a heavier finned sink MADE OF COPPER!!!. Peter, would you consider making some of these?

That got me to thinking and searching... here's a couple:

Thermalright Copper Heatsink

One Copper Heatsink At NewEgg

Still, a machined solid copper one would likely be less resonant... but much more pricey (these aren't cheap!).

Your soldering skills are infinitely superior to mine but nonetheless I think you should think at least twice about soldering on the motherboard. If you do this successfully I will be horribly jealous, again, of your talents.

I thought that was a great example of Peter thinking outside of the box... I'll do that when I try the PicoPSU.

You (Peter) are missing out by delaying your implementation of MINLOGON<SNIP>

Peter, I agree with Rick on this one. As long as you have your Windows 'Folder Options' set so you see the full file name with suffix, using the Easy Minlogon without disabling WFP instructions, it was a 10-minute non-issue for me... and well worth the improvements.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

Balanced to unbalanced.

Peter,

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but...

My soundcard has balanced/unbalanced outputs, I will be building the Pass B1 buffer pre-amp (thanks for that info) and I would like to run the balanced output to the B1 - any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Alan

I know there are copper heatsinks

available but they really will not do much to solve (?!!!) any resonance problem as they are usually of the same construction as the aluminum ones. The close spacing usually implies the use of a fan. Chunkier heatsinks can work in still air, and as a side benefit not be induced to ring.

I was just playing with Peter's ability to make stuff. A bit of a challenge and a wish. Who knows if anyone can hear the difference. Just as with putting sorbothane in a heatsink. No, I do not think I heard a difference from THAT but one (I have assumed) makes all of these theoretical tweaks and even semi-theoretical tweaks in the hopes that cumulatively they make a difference.

Like lightening a racing car (so you then put the weight where you want it); you take weight away from anything you possibly can, you do not pick and choose which areas. I look at any audio component in an analogous way. You do everything you can with every part to the best of your ability and knowledge. My point is you cannot expect everything you do to make a WOW kind of difference but if you proceed to incorporate everything you know you will end up with something good. It may be difficult to point to each individual operation and say, "this one did ...."", the finished product is what matters and having everyone you know laugh at your insane obsession of a hobby is only a side benefit.

Bye,

Rick McInnis

Joined 2003
Paid Member
LOL... Rick, you put it so eloquently there... and I totally agree. See my signature line.

Yah, I do a lot of things to my system that don't make a big difference by themselves, but add together to produce results that at least please me.

On the heatsinks, I'm not sure that a lighter construction such as that ThermalTake is not a better way to go... I subscribe more to the idea that mass can often be a place for resonance to happen... and that a massive object vibrating will do so at a lower frequency and be harder to damp. Sort of the materials analogy to smaller, better power supply capacitance instead of massive capacitor banks.

Such fun we're having!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Geek, noone says you have to keep and use the fan. No fans in my PC-based digital music source!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.