• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Soon a new board will be available from AudioSector.com

It is a replacement for a previous parallel only LM4780 board. The new board allows all 3 configurations: stereo, bridged and parallel.

I'm testing it presently in a stereo version, and it sounds very good. The price of the new board will be $25, featuring as usually 2 amp channels, as well snubber option for PS. I will be also offering half of that board only (for half the price), allowing to build a stereo amp (like the one in a picture), using one LM4780 chip.

Copper spreader was used to improve heat release from a chip.

Attachments

• am.jpg
    am.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 4,626
Received the DAC kit on friday, immediately started soldering. Fairly easy job, only the SMD regulator was a bitch because I lost my tweezers. Everything checked, looked OK so plugged it in, but it remained dead silent :bawling: . It appears I have a short between +UD and DGND, but I cannot trace it, everything looks ok, so probably I have a cap with a short or something...:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

The dales still measure 20 Ohms and the C3 is being charged 'properly' (too low voltage due to short). After two days of checking still can't find it... I hope tomorrow...

I've found the defect. UA was the proper 10V, UD=0V, at the trafo side of the dale resistors it was 11,5V. By disconnecting L3 and L4 and later the Oscon C15 I found I have a short between IN and GND of U1. I really cannot see a incorrect joint or malfunction in the PCB so my guess is that this unit is defective. I will try to locate an AN8005 at a local dealer to replace it. I hope that will solve the problem...

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Hanzwillem said:
I've found the defect. UA was the proper 10V, UD=0V, at the trafo side of the dale resistors it was 11,5V. By disconnecting L3 and L4 and later the Oscon C15 I found I have a short between IN and GND of U1. I really cannot see a incorrect joint or malfunction in the PCB so my guess is that this unit is defective. I will try to locate an AN8005 at a local dealer to replace it. I hope that will solve the problem...

You might have heated up the regulator too much when soldering them to the pcb. I had a similar problem soldering small transistors to my original Mini-A layout, and eventually decided to just solder the TO-92 part on the SMD pads.

--
Brian

Hanzwillem said:

U1 powers SN75179 only. It should not affect receiver. I will send you both AN8005 and SN75179 tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for the effort Peter!
I replaced U1 with a 78L05 and it works fine now. Just plugged it in.
So if you think ST's 78L05 won't make much difference for the receiver buffer (couse I think it would make much difference) then please don't bother sending me an an8005 and keep the components and money in your own pocket :)

Thanks a lot for the kit, it looks absolutely amazing and sounds so too. I will do a lot listening in the next days I think :)
Thanks again! I will post a picture when the bottom plate is finished (22mm MDF on spikes, maybe some alu panels to reinforce the connectors)

Message to Hanzwillem

Hanzwillem,

You have disabled the option to contact you tru email on this board so i post my request here:

I live close to you (Deventer) and i would appreciate if i could listen to the DAC of Peter.

Something like "If you show yours I'll show mine" (not really!)

:cannotbe:

Another dac and perhaps the premium LM3875 kit ?

If that would be interesting to you i would really appreciate if you could contact me tru my profile

Gerben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.